Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Mexico with Expired Visa and I797 Extension

Hello Guys,

I have GC and will expired on July 2017 , I travel to Mexico at least twice a month from Chicago
    1. what do I need to enter mexico via air ?
    2. Just the Expired GC and the I797 extension ?

I have a Guatemalan passport . I DO NOT HAVE A VISA, ONLY GREEN CARD.

I just don't want them to send me back on my of my business trips. I have read some forums and all of them have different information, thanks in advance for your help!

You are renewing an expired 10-year green card (not removing conditions on a 2-year green card), right?

Go to an InfoPass appointment at a USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp before you leave.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

hello, I'm removing the conditions on a 2 year-green card ( got the I797 already ) , not a 10 year. does this makes any difference ?

Comment

Originally posted by pabloalgo View Post
        hello, I'm removing the conditions on a 2 year-green card ( got the I797 already ) , not a 10 year. does this makes any difference ?
        Then the I-751 receipt that you got is also a 1-year extension letter. That letter combined with the expired GC together serves as a valid GC or all purposes, including work or travel, until 1 year after the GC expired. Just bring the extension letter and the expired GC.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Then the I-751 receipt that you got is also a 1-year extension letter. That letter combined with the expired GC together serves as a valid GC or all purposes, including work or travel, until 1 year after the GC expired. Just bring the extension letter and the expired GC.
          I'm just confused because the Consulate Mexican website is showing this :

"US Residents: If your United States visa stamped on your passport already expired but you have an official document proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 Forms won’t be accepted to entering Mexico), unless you have a valid Visa for any of the countries listed above (Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area) "

I do not have a Visa to get stamped, i only need the passport ?

Comment

I'm just confused because the Consulate Mexican website is showing this :

"US Residents: If your United States visa stamped on your passport already expired but you have an official document proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 Forms won’t be accepted to entering Mexico), unless you have a valid Visa for any of the countries listed above (Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area) "

I do not have a Visa to get stamped, i only need the passport ?
            You are a US permanent resident, so you wouldn't have any visas. You are looking at the wrong passage, as visas are not relevant to you.

US permanent residents do not need a Mexican visa to visit Mexico. The only question is whether Mexican officers will recognize the extension letter + expired green card as proof of permanent residency. I am not sure about this, but I would guess that they do.

Comment

You are a US permanent resident, so you wouldn't have any visas. You are looking at the wrong passage, as visas are not relevant to you.

US permanent residents do not need a Mexican visa to visit Mexico. The only question is whether Mexican officers will recognize the extension letter + expired green card as proof of permanent residency. I am not sure about this, but I would guess that they do.
              Well I set up an appointment with InfoPass and see what they say, if not Let you know when the officer is sending me back from Mexico ! LOL thanks for your help and will let you know what the officer says next week and what happens after the expiration date!

Comment

Well I set up an appointment with InfoPass and see what they say, if not Let you know when the officer is sending me back from Mexico ! LOL thanks for your help and will let you know what the officer says next week and what happens after the expiration date!
                They usually don't give I-551 stamps for people who already have extension letters unless the extension letter is close to expiring.

Comment

Did u end up going to Mexico with an expired green card and i797A. Is there any tourist visa required?

QUOTE=pabloalgo;503182]Hello Guys,

I have GC and will expired on July 2017 , I travel to Mexico at least twice a month from Chicago
                  1. what do I need to enter mexico via air ?
                  2. Just the Expired GC and the I797 extension ?

I have a Guatemalan passport . I DO NOT HAVE A VISA, ONLY GREEN CARD.

I just don't want them to send me back on my of my business trips. I have read some forums and all of them have different information, thanks in advance for your help![/QUOTE]

Comment

Update?

Did you end up getting the i-551 stamp in your passport and travelling?

Comment

You are renewing an expired 10-year green card (not removing conditions on a 2-year green card), right?

Go to an InfoPass appointment at a USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp before you leave.
                      I have a I551 (wet ink)stamp from my infopass appointment, will this work? Do you know of anyone that this has worked for. I have visited multiple forums, nobody has posted about not being allowed to board a flight to Mexico with I551 but the language about I551 wet ink stamp being valid is not mentioned on Mexico visa requirements page either. I am not positive if I will get the Mexican visa in time for my trip. This is frustrating. I think I am going to go to the airport to be absolutely sure.

Comment

My GC expired on November 15th, 2019. I am in possession of an extension letter for my daughter and I – she’s 12yrs old. We went to Mexico on January 23-26, 2020. We both used our GC and extension letters and was granted access with zero questions asked. No worries, book your trip and go.

Comment

Did you guys ended up going and was accessed entry to Mexico ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X