No announcement yet.

Separation equals absence of marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation equals absence of marriage?

Hello, my current husband and I are Canadian PRs, married outside of North America. My husband was selected in the diversity lottery, we went to the interview and both have immigration visas as of now. I can only land as a family member (after which my GC will be unconditional), together with him or after him (while still being his wife, naturally). We want to divorce. By Canadian law we must file for separation first, and then finalize the divorce in a year.
    I was wondering if separation was tantamount to not-being-a-spouse when it comes to landing as a new immigrant. If we ask for separation right now and I try to land later before the visa expires in October, will I be successful in that? Or should we wait till we both land, so that I don't miss out on the GC, and then start the separation?

Immigrate to the United States then dissolve your marriage. That would limit your exposure to the statute against procuring admission by willful misrepresentation

Attend regular marriage counseling sessions. That would provide you with a valid defense if, despite the above, you are accused of misrepresentation

Comment

Once you live in the US, you are under US law, not Canadian law.

Research the laws of the State and County where you intend to reside.
      Last edited by NettieL; 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X