Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can green card holder be deported for lying on reentry to country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can green card holder be deported for lying on reentry to country?

Hope you can give me advice on my situation. I have a green card based on marriage, but I am in the first stages of divorce from my U.S. wife. We have not yet filed, but there is a lot of tension and I am worried what my wife might do and whether she could get me deported.

We have been married for 15 years (married in the US) but separated for 6. We moved to my country 8 years ago, when I guess I should have surrendered my green card because I didn't intend to return. But I held onto it for obvious reasons. Then we separated while in my country, and my wife moved back to the US 4 years ago. She didn't divorce me at that point so that I could also come to the US if I decided, to be close to my son (10 years old).

After that, I came up to the US to visit my son and work one summer, and here is the key point of my question - I told the immigration officials I had only been out of the country for a couple of weeks when it was actually years. Because otherwise probably they would not let me in the country. Then the following year I decided to move here, and I also told them again I had only been away a couple of weeks.

My wife knows that is not true and that I lied to an immigration official. Now that things are bad between us I want to know if she could report me to immigration and get me deported.

I guess the law says this is possible, right? But even if that is the law, is this something that ICE would take the time to enforce? I don't know if green card holders that are (with this one exception) law-abiding, working, tax paying residents would be a priority for them to deport?

I appreciate your advice, thank you.

They are already deporting Citizens who lie on their application.

Best to reconcile for your son's sake. Looks like your US wife was generous to allow you to come back to US.
    Last edited by samlynn; 06-25-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X