Clear All

• Applying for Green Card After Marriage

United States Department of Homeland Security
    USCIS
    PO Box 805887
    Chicago, IL 60680-4120

March 15, 2017

Adjustment of Status Application - Concurrent Form: I-485 and Form I-130
    US Citizen: US CITIZEN NAME HERE (Maiden name: MAIDEN NAME HERE )
    Alien Spouse: Spouse who is applying for GREEN CARD here)

Dear USCIS Officer:

Please find the enclosed Concurrent an Adjustment of Status applications for:
    Included in this application are the following documents:

Check in the amount of $535.00 USD for the I-130
    Form G-1145 E- Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
    Form I – 130 Petition for Alien Relative
    Copy of CBP I-94 Most Recent Print Out
    Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
    Form G 325A Biographical Information for (Petitioner)
    Form G 325A Biographical Information for (Applicant)
    Form I-864 Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA
    Income Tax returns for Petitioner for years 2013, 2014 and 2015
    Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
    Check in the amount of $1140.00 USD for the I-485
    Check in the amount of $85.00 for Biometric Service Fee
    Copy of petitioners certified Birth Certificate
    Certified Marriage Certificate
    Copy of Petitioners Drivers License (MN)
    Certified Birth Certificate for Alien
    Certified translation of Alien Birth Certificate from Portuguese to English
    Copy of Petitioners Passport (Biographical page)
    Copy of Alien’s Passport (Biographical page)
    Copy of Alien’s Visa B1/B2
    Proof of Marriage declaration letters from Family/Friends: 11 Letters
    Passport photos for Alien (2)
    Proof of legal Marriage: Photos of Petitioner and Alien: Marriage, vacations and family and friends: 48 Full photo: Chicago Trip Wilis Tower, Christmas Card, Wedding Card.
    Marriage Dissolution for (Name of Divorced applicant, IF APPLICABLE (Previous marriage) Filed:

Should there be any additional information you need or anything we have not included that is necessary, please contact us:

Your information here

Hey ... We were married on December 9th 2016. We were very apprehensive to start the immigration process for reasons that were NOT true.

We were told when you file, if you make a mistake, they will return the documents and keep the money you sent in, and you have to pay again: NOT TRUE ...

If you file your paper work with the USPS ... it will go to a lockbox address. Here there are staff that JUST MAKE SURE ALL DOCUMENTS ARE PROPERLY FILLED OUT AND PAYMENT IS CORRECT. If you do NOT supply the 3 checks attached to the forms for payment with the correct amounts, they will RETURN everything and ask you to send in again. If you are sending in the forms listed above. CHECK THE USCIS website to MAKE SURE you have the most recent form, as if you are sending in a form, and a more recent form is available, they will AGAIN send it back to you and you have to resend. THEY DO NOT charge you more than ONCE. They will not even take the checks/money order until ALL paperwork sent in is correct. The problem is it took 3-4 weeks to get the package BACK as we made a mistake and OVER paid, then we sent it back in and another 3-4 weeks, it was RETURNED AGAIN because we did not fill out the most recent form of one of the forms we sent in. THIS TIME WE CHECKED every single form, made sure checks were written for the correct amount, and FINALLY we got a letter stating that our papers were sent to the immigration office and we will be contacted for the bio-metric finger print appointment and an immigration officer will be assigned. IT IS NOT difficult, we did it ourselves and saved 3500-5000 dollars for an attorney. Once you have everything in order, and payment is correct, you will be fine.

The total payment was 1140.00 + 535.00 + 85.00 = 1760.00 total. That is as of June 2017, those prices can change, so BE SURE TO CHECK. You may be able to write ONE check for 1760.00, but honestly I would do 3 separate checks attached to each correlating form. Just makes it easier for the immigration office. Put everything in order as it's listed on the cover letter, and PLACE THE COVER LETTER ON TOP and if you want email or text confirmation: Put the G-1145 form, right after the cover letter. But, if it's in the order you have on the cover page, it is easier. Remember, making things easier for the immigration office will make YOUR LIFE easier too.

In addition to all the forms we sent (mentioned above) we did get a letter June 21 - 2017 saying we did not fill out an I-130A, this form is for the applicant information, previous residence and work history and parents information mosty, and they needed a COPY of the original birth certificate. WHICH we had already sent in a certified copy of it along with an English translation, they either lost it or needed another. So, we made multiple copies in the event they ask for it again.

I HOPE this helps as when we started this process, we thought it would be so difficult and possibly have to REPAY if mistakes were made and that was NOT the case. If you have any questions, please send and we will try to answer ok ... Best of luck ..
    Last edited by rcaraujo; 06-22-2017, 11:25 AM.

Relieved

I have been dragging my feet on finishing the paperwork because I have many unanswered questions and was afraid if I sent in the paperwork and something was wrong that I would lose all that money. So I am very relieved to have found your post and the cover letter is very helpful.

Of the many questions I have there is one that is consistent with all the paperwork; I am sponsoring my husband and he does not know English so I am filling out all the paperwork on his behalf...does that make me the preparer, or is that only for lawyers to fill out?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by LostInPaperwork View Post
      I have been dragging my feet on finishing the paperwork because I have many unanswered questions and was afraid if I sent in the paperwork and something was wrong that I would lose all that money. So I am very relieved to have found your post and the cover letter is very helpful.

Of the many questions I have there is one that is consistent with all the paperwork; I am sponsoring my husband and he does not know English so I am filling out all the paperwork on his behalf...does that make me the preparer, or is that only for lawyers to fill out?

Thank you!
      I believe "preparer" refers to legal service providers only.

Comment

Thank you for this detailed info! Relieved to read if a mistake is made you do not have to pay full amount again!
        I have a couple of questions:

*Form I-485: my husband arrived here on a K-1 visa from the UK. We were married on June 21, 2017!
        on Part 1 of form I-485, would we check "22a" inspected at port of entry and admitted as and then type in box"Fiancee visa" (as it won't let me type K-1 visa) or check 22d. -"other"and type K-1 visa?

*then in part 2: Family-base: do I check first box which says: Immediate relative of US citizen - form I-130 . I would then fill out this form I-130 and the supplement I-130 form and mail with this I-485 form... OR check the 3rd box which states: Person admitted to US as fiancee K-1 and mail in a copy of the I-129 form that the USCIS stamped approval on? My thought is the third box...

*Also, we had to fill out an I-134 form which had to do with the financial support piece. do I now have to fill out this I-864 form as well?

Seems all so redundant..

Appreciate your help!~Chrys

Comment

Your List

I was reading through your list to get ready to prepare my cover letter and noticed that there was no mention of the medical report. did you do one? or are you planning on submitting it later? I want to submit my husbands after he gets his EAD but before our interview. What are your thoughts or experiences?
          Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X