Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L1B Expiring in Aug 2017 But I94 Expiring in 2020. What could I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B Expiring in Aug 2017 But I94 Expiring in 2020. What could I do?

Hi Folks,

Have a bit of a predicament here as my L1B Visa is expiring coming August 2017 but my I94 goes onto 2020.

I have a need to head back to my home country within the next year but as my L1B Visa would have been expired, as such my departure from the US should be treated as permanent I was told.

My questions are
    (1) Whether I could renew my L1B Visa from over here either before or after the expiry of the Visa considering that my I94 allows me to stay still 2020. So that i could go back to my home country and come back with no issues. I understand that I will be issued a new I94 but atleast I can enter the US again.
    (2) Assuming the Visa has expired and i head back home next year. Is there a cool off period as such of 1 year for me to re-apply for the L1B visa or can I initiate the application from here and have an appointment scheduled during my visit home?
    (3) Would my extended I94 support me in anyway in having my L1B application approved with no issues if i were to re-apply?

Would appreciate your advise and experiences.

Regards,
    Hisham

Originally posted by hishamzz View Post
    Hi Folks,

Have a bit of a predicament here as my L1B Visa is expiring coming August 2017 but my I94 goes onto 2020.

I have a need to head back to my home country within the next year but as my L1B Visa would have been expired, as such my departure from the US should be treated as permanent I was told.

My questions are
    (1) Whether I could renew my L1B Visa from over here either before or after the expiry of the Visa considering that my I94 allows me to stay still 2020. So that i could go back to my home country and come back with no issues. I understand that I will be issued a new I94 but atleast I can enter the US again.
    (2) Assuming the Visa has expired and i head back home next year. Is there a cool off period as such of 1 year for me to re-apply for the L1B visa or can I initiate the application from here and have an appointment scheduled during my visit home?
    (3) Would my extended I94 support me in anyway in having my L1B application approved with no issues if i were to re-apply?

Would appreciate your advise and experiences.

Regards,
    Hisham
    1. No. New visa can only be got at a US consulate outside US.
    2. How long have you spent in US in L1 status? If less then 5 years then you can apply immediately, else you have to wait for at least a year.
    3. No.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      1. No. New visa can only be got at a US consulate outside US.
      2. How long have you spent in US in L1 status? If less then 5 years then you can apply immediately, else you have to wait for at least a year.
      3. No.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Thanks for your responses Raghvi!

On Point 2 - If my total stay in the US has completed 5 years in total, only then would the 1 year cool off period apply yes? If, lets say, I have stayed in total for just 2 years and my Visa expired. I cannot go back home and reapply immediately? Is there a country specific ruling on this?

I was also told that is my dependents (L2) were to go back home after the visa expiry. They are able to apply for the Visa once more again based off my extended I-94. Is this true?

Regards,
      Hisham

Comment

Originally posted by hishamzz View Post
        Thanks for your responses Raghvi!

On Point 2 - If my total stay in the US has completed 5 years in total, only then would the 1 year cool off period apply yes? If, lets say, I have stayed in total for just 2 years and my Visa expired. I cannot go back home and reapply immediately? Is there a country specific ruling on this?

I was also told that is my dependents (L2) were to go back home after the visa expiry. They are able to apply for the Visa once more again based off my extended I-94. Is this true?

Regards,
        Hisham
        Is yours L1 Blanket or L1 Individual?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X