Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US consualte lost my passport by delivering to wrong address ! PANIC

Hi all,

I had my J1 visa interview on 15th June in US consulate Amsterdam and my passport was deposited for processing. After 1 week on 21st June, I got the mail from consulate that my visa is approved and passport is shipped by post.nl (national post service in netherlands) and will be delivered to me next day on 22nd June. They provided a tracking id for the postal service. The postal service website showed an incorrect address to which the passport was shipped (street was correct but house number was incorrect). It was not the address I provided while making appointment ais.usvisa.com portal. I contacted the postal service, they said that they will deliver only on the address which the sender (US consulate) has labeled on the package. If the receiver denies than it will be returned and I can collect it from post office. However, by evening it showed status delivered with some strange signature on it. Of course not delivered to me. I called the postal service again and they said I should contact the sender (consulate). The US consulate here is not replying to mail and there is no information on their contact number. I asked the person living at the wrong address and they say they haven't received anything with my name.

It seem to me at complete mismanagement by the consulate. I have to join an internship next week in Seattle. If the passport is not available soon, i think they will cancel my internship. My last option is to visit the consulate asap, though they do not entertain visitors without appointment. It seems like my passport is really lost now. Can anyone tell me what legal option I have if I miss my internship opportunity due to mismanagement of the consulate or can they manage to get my passport back in time.

Thanks

Originally posted by praveend View Post
    Hi all,

I had my J1 visa interview on 15th June in US consulate Amsterdam and my passport was deposited for processing. After 1 week on 21st June, I got the mail from consulate that my visa is approved and passport is shipped by post.nl (national post service in netherlands) and will be delivered to me next day on 22nd June. They provided a tracking id for the postal service. The postal service website showed an incorrect address to which the passport was shipped (street was correct but house number was incorrect). It was not the address I provided while making appointment ais.usvisa.com portal. I contacted the postal service, they said that they will deliver only on the address which the sender (US consulate) has labeled on the package. If the receiver denies than it will be returned and I can collect it from post office. However, by evening it showed status delivered with some strange signature on it. Of course not delivered to me. I called the postal service again and they said I should contact the sender (consulate). The US consulate here is not replying to mail and there is no information on their contact number. I asked the person living at the wrong address and they say they haven't received anything with my name.

It seem to me at complete mismanagement by the consulate. I have to join an internship next week in Seattle. If the passport is not available soon, i think they will cancel my internship. My last option is to visit the consulate asap, though they do not entertain visitors without appointment. It seems like my passport is really lost now. Can anyone tell me what legal option I have if I miss my internship opportunity due to mismanagement of the consulate or can they manage to get my passport back in time.

Thanks
    You cannot take legal action against the consulate. (An address typo does not constitute legal action anyways)

Keep in mind that the post office stated they would not deliver it to any other address than the address the consulate sent it to, so can that only mean someone at that specific address signed for it? According to the post office that would be the only way it would be delivered.

I would notify the consulate immediately by mail as to what has happened. If you are able to get to the consulate in person, I would also go in person as someone appears to have the intent to possibly use your passport stamped with the visa illegally.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

You need to file a police report that your passport was lost, as evidenced by the wrong address, delivery status and signature that isn't yours. You may need this report in the future.

Also notify the US Consulate.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X