Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Properly reflecting minor alcohol offense in U.S. citizenship application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Properly reflecting minor alcohol offense in U.S. citizenship application?

When I was 20, I had a minor in consumption offense, which was later dismissed. How can we know whether the following questions on the U.S. citizenship application are true or not?

1) Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested? [Here, I originally pled guilty, but the charge was later dismissed. Does this mean the crime was "committed"? Also, I never went to jail for the crime, so was there technically an "arrest"?]

2) Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? [Here, I received a citation for the alcohol-related offense, but it was dismissed. I'm assuming that the answer is "yes" even though the charge was dismissed, right?]

3) Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense? [Does a "charge" presume guilt? Like is this true even though it was dismissed?]

4) Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense? [So, I'm assuming this is NO, because it was dismissed, right?]

5) Have you EVER received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled? [Person X was originally asked to do some form of community service, but this request was later dropped. This is kinda confusing, because technically not sure what the right answer is given that person X was asked to do this at one point, then it was dropped.]

Originally posted by sben789 View Post
    When I was 20, I had a minor in consumption offense, which was later dismissed. How can we know whether the following questions on the U.S. citizenship application are true or not?

1) Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested? [Here, I originally pled guilty, but the charge was later dismissed. Does this mean the crime was "committed"? Also, I never went to jail for the crime, so was there technically an "arrest"?]

2) Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? [Here, I received a citation for the alcohol-related offense, but it was dismissed. I'm assuming that the answer is "yes" even though the charge was dismissed, right?]

3) Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense? [Does a "charge" presume guilt? Like is this true even though it was dismissed?]

4) Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense? [So, I'm assuming this is NO, because it was dismissed, right?]

5) Have you EVER received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled? [Person X was originally asked to do some form of community service, but this request was later dropped. This is kinda confusing, because technically not sure what the right answer is given that person X was asked to do this at one point, then it was dropped.]
    i would like to know the answer to the questions as well, as this might be relevant (i have a misdemeanor traffic court case - which pleaded No Contest from the court judgement)

Comment

1. no, because you were arrested
      2. yes
      3. yes, you were charged
      4. no
      5. no, if you were never found guilty, then you didn't have a sentence

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Sben no yes yes no no
        Abu no yes yes yes no

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X