Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volunteering while waiting for EAD Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering while waiting for EAD Card?

Hey there,

As said in the title, I was wondering if any of you had an experience where they volunteered while waiting for the EAD Card?
    I heard and read both point of view: Definitely Legal VS Completely Illegal... So I'm curious to hear about true experience from this forum.

Just to be clear, by "volunteering" I mean working for free.
    Indeed, right know I'm personally in a position where it might be better for me to volunteer in order to have a job when I finally get the EAD Card, rather than staying home thinking than nobody should work for free...

Thanks,
    Clem

The way it has always been explained to me is basically even if you are working (free or for pay) and it is taking away a potential job of an American you could get into trouble. You need to prove that this never was and never will be a paid position with the company/organization you are working for.

I tried to do some volunteering but I found the risk wasn't worth it. Your best bet would be looking at a non-profit organization that only pays very few employees and the majority are volunteers. However, my advice is do not risk it but I do understand the boredom of being the non-working spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOT View Post
      The way it has always been explained to me is basically even if you are working (free or for pay) and it is taking away a potential job of an American you could get into trouble. You need to prove that this never was and never will be a paid position with the company/organization you are working for.
      This makes a lot of sense you're right...

Comment

You can volunteer

No unpaid internships

No deferred comp positions

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          Thanks Inadmissible!
          What do you think about volunteering in the same company you might eventually be working in once you have your EAD Card?
          I mean it seems very subjective to be able to identify deferred compensations...
          I don't know how it works everywhere else in the US, but in San Francisco, Signing Bonus, Special Benefits, End of the Year Bonus etc...are pretty common...
          I'm afraid of volunteering and then get into trouble just because I'm getting a bonus I would have received anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by clmclmclm View Post
            Thanks Inadmissible!
            What do you think about volunteering in the same company you might eventually be working in once you have your EAD Card?
            If you volunteer in a volunteer position, it shouldn't be an issue. If you volunteer in the same position for which you are going to be paid for eventually, that will look suspicious. In my experience no volunteers get bonuses. I have volunteered before, in a professional capacity, but I wasn't paid a cent, ever.
            Not legal advice.

Comment

I came on my B2 to the US and I worked for 2 months at a steakhouse serving tables.

Is that super bad when it gets to the interview? (I am still waiting for my EAD, I applied for GC over marriage)

Thanks!

You can volunteer

No unpaid internships

Comment

Robert, you have violated the terms of your visa by working without employment authorization. Good thing you are married to a US citizen and are applying for adjustment of status. The adjustment requirement to be in status is waived for immediate relatives of US citizens

clm sounds kinda sketchy to be honest, why would they offer the same paid positions that they also offer to unpaid volunteers?

Comment

clm sounds kinda sketchy to be honest, why would they offer the same paid positions that they also offer to unpaid volunteers?
                  Inadmissible, to help you understand my situation you must know that in my case I received an offer letter from my previous employer a long time ago...too long ago actually...and now it sounds like it would be safer for me to volunteer in the company while I'm waiting for my EAD card and until I can get back to a normal situation, before they decide they can't wait for me anymore...
                  But it means having the same responsibilities than an employee...is that an issue? Does "volunteering" required some specific conditions? Or it literally means "work for free"?

Comment

Originally posted by clmclmclm View Post
                    Inadmissible, to help you understand my situation you must know that in my case I received an offer letter from my previous employer a long time ago...too long ago actually...and now it sounds like it would be safer for me to volunteer in the company while I'm waiting for my EAD card and until I can get back to a normal situation, before they decide they can't wait for me anymore...
                    Besides raising red flags, you may put yourself in a situation of being taken advantage of. Why would they pay you if you are willing to work for free? This whole scenario is raising red flags.
                    Not legal advice.

Comment

That's not volunteering. That's forgoing pay for a paid job.

Go help out at church, serve food at a soup kit chen, take care of puppies at an animal shelter, lead guided tours at the museum

Don't get a job in tech or an investment bank and tell the employer "hey i got a deal for you! you don't have to pay me until August!"

Not that it really matters anyway if you're getting your adjustment on the basis of an immediate relative petition (eg citizen spouse), since any unauthorized work will be forgiven

Comment

volunteering

Volunteering is a best way to adopting and learning new things from the different culture. One of my colleagues has his great experience of mission humanitaire Afrique, where he participated with ONG Shammesh in the volunteering program. You can have a peek at this website to get more details about humanitarian missions.
                        Last edited by Antonise; 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM. Reason: website

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X