Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes Question

Hi,

I am in the process of moving to the US as a permanent resident. I have a question about taxes. I know that the US taxes resident and citizens not only for their US income, but for their income abroad. Fair enough, or maybe not.

But my question is the following. In my home country (Argentina) there are 2 main taxes: Income (around 35%) and Property tax (not only real estate, cars or any property, but also money at the bank -not the interests, the money itself).

If I have 1 million dollars in my home country, earned prior to becoming a resident, does that money pay any type of taxes? I mean, the money, not any interest generated from that money. Let's say that the money is on an account that produces 0 interest. In Argentina, you still have to pay between 1 and 3%. Does the US have something similar, or they only tax the interest earned on that money?

I just don't want to move my money from Argentina to the US once I become a citizen, and first have that money considered as an income, which is not, because my savings are previous, and also don't want to pay taxes for the money itself. Yes for any interest generated.

If anybody knows the answer, I would really appreciate it !!!

Thanks!

Jesaris

The United States does not assess a wealth tax

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X