• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC interview 6/22

PD - 8/17/2016
    EAD-10/16
    Interview - 6/22/17

We had our marriage based interview yesterday in New York at 9:10 AM. We got to the office at 7:30 AM and so glad we arrived early because the line was around the corner for people waiting to enter the federal building. It was moving rather quickly, so I was happy. Anyway, once we were in the building we went to the 8th floor, and then we got sent to the 3rd floor where the interviews take place. Once there, we went to the window to check in, and the man behind the window gave us a receipt with a number on it. He said to have a seat and wait for your number to be called. When our number was called, we got up and was greeted by a serious looking officer. He did not say "good morning" until I said "good morning" to him. Once inside his office, he swore us in. He asked my husband (applicant) five personal questions, and the rest of the questions came from the i-485 form. He asked me (petitioner)about four questions. For example, what is my husband's favorite soccer team? Also, I provided him with original documents (marriage certificate, birth certificate, i-94) as well as a new i-864 because I added my husband's income (thanks to Azbik for the advice here at Immi) and there was no problem. He asked me was there anything additional that I would like to give him, so I gave him more photos, as well as a copy of our life Insurance. What I didn't realize was that he kept the i-94. I'm not sure whether we were to get the i-94 back or the officer was to return it back to us. Not sure, but I'm worried. Also, he didn't say one way or the other if we were being approved or not. He just told us you would get a response in the mail shortly.

I feel great about our interview as there were no issues that I can recall. The only thing I can think of is that my husband screwed up on one question when the officer asked, "what courses do your wife teach?". He couldn't remember as I teach various business courses. He told the officer I don't remember. Other than that, I think the interview went well. Lastly, the officer did manage to loosen up and crack two jokes.

Can someone tell me if the officer was suppose to keep the i-94 or return it?
    Last edited by Belloshore; 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM.

Originally posted by Belloshore View Post
    PD - 8/17/2016
    EAD-10/16
    Interview - 6/22/17

Can someone tell me if the officer was suppose to keep the i-94 or return it?

They keep the I-94. I originally started this process in 1989 (we divorced before two years and never completed the process) and they took my I-94 back then as part of the process and I obviously had none to submit this time when we filed for AOS‚ I just used photocopies of the passport I held when I originally entered the USA and the stamps that they put in my passport during the process.

We (my current wife and I) filed for AOS again in January this year‚ never received any RFE's (self filed) and had our interview in June and were approved for a 10 year green card the following day.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I hope that is the case with us that we get approved. We also self-filed without any RFEs. I am just worried because the IO didn't say one way or the other if we are approved or not.

Originally posted by S_R_E View Post
      They keep the I-94. I originally started this process in 1989 (we divorced before two years and never completed the process) and they took my I-94 back then as part of the process and I obviously had none to submit this time when we filed for AOS‚ I just used photocopies of the passport I held when I originally entered the USA and the stamps that they put in my passport during the process.

We (my current wife and I) filed for AOS again in January this year‚ never received any RFE's (self filed) and had our interview in June and were approved for a 10 year green card the following day.

Comment

Originally posted by Belloshore View Post
        Thanks for the quick response. I hope that is the case with us that we get approved. We also self-filed without any RFEs. I am just worried because the IO didn't say one way or the other if we are approved or not.
        We were not approved on the spot and were given a "Hand Delivered" notice saying our case was under review. I think each office has different policies to what they do as part of the interview process‚ some take pictures and finger prints (not done in our case) and some give notices (as in our case). Our interviewer indicated there were no issues as far as he was concerned and he just had some procedural questions for his supervisor regarding our case as I had started the process in the past through my first marriage. I asked how long he thought it would take (our interview was on a Wednesday) and he said he expected and answer from his supervisor by Friday. I got the email notification the card was being produced around 3:30 PM on the Thursday.

You should have a general feeling of how it went based on the interview and it seems that different offices may move more slowly than others when completing whatever needs to be done post interview. I know it can be frustrating and anxiety inducing. You have nothing to worry about regarding your I-94.

Comment

Originally posted by S_R_E View Post
          We were not approved on the spot and were given a "Hand Delivered" notice saying our case was under review. I think each office has different policies to what they do as part of the interview process‚ some take pictures and finger prints (not done in our case) and some give notices (as in our case). Our interviewer indicated there were no issues as far as he was concerned and he just had some procedural questions for his supervisor regarding our case as I had started the process in the past through my first marriage. I asked how long he thought it would take (our interview was on a Wednesday) and he said he expected and answer from his supervisor by Friday. I got the email notification the card was being produced around 3:30 PM on the Thursday.

You should have a general feeling of how it went based on the interview and it seems that different offices may move more slowly than others when completing whatever needs to be done post interview. I know it can be frustrating and anxiety inducing. You have nothing to worry about regarding your I-94.
          Congratulations to you!!!! Thats wonderful!
          You are correct in that each office is different. I went in the interview with a good feeling, and came out with a good feeling until I realized the I94 was not given back to us. I now understand why it wasnt return based on your earlier post as it seems that is the norm for the IO to take it. And the wait is frustrating, but I must continue to have faith in knowing it's just a matter of time that this will soon be over.

Comment

wow

Congralations

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X