Australian to usa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian to usa

Im a 25 year old Australian citizen, employed as a full time firefighter here in Australia

Ive been looking into immigration to the USA and am unsure of my options other than becoming successful in the greencard lottery
    Besides marrying a citizen what are my other options in my current field of work?

Apart from marriage and the Diversity Visa lottery, your options involve finding a US employer

You will likely not find a municipal agency that will hire you as a fire fighter though. For public policy reasons, they would rather hire from the pool of US citizens and residents. Municipal agencies also typically lack the in-house expertise to file immigration paperwork, as well as the flexibility in funding to hire outside counsel to do so. I'm generalizing - of the over 27 thousand fire departments in the United States, there may be a few in dire need for staff that they would resort to a foreign hire

You could try your luck with private firefighting units attached to industrial facilities, say in the petroleum and chemical industries, power generation, and heavy manufacturing. Or you could leverage your experience, knowledge, and expertise to work in the fire suppression service and consulting industry

Best of luck

Comment

If you're also an EMT or Paramedic, there may be more options. I know of those categories which have worked in the US, but I'm not sure how they gained work permits. The way I understand it, is that most Fire Fighters are cross trained.

Google keywords: Employment Based Visas; Labor Certification; Schedule A Occupations
      Last edited by NettieL; 06-25-2017, 08:29 AM.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

Schedule A occupations include physical therapists and registered nurses, not EMT's

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          Apart from marriage and the Diversity Visa lottery, your options involve finding a US employer

You will likely not find a municipal agency that will hire you as a fire fighter though. For public policy reasons, they would rather hire from the pool of US citizens and residents. Municipal agencies also typically lack the in-house expertise to file immigration paperwork, as well as the flexibility in funding to hire outside counsel to do so. I'm generalizing - of the over 27 thousand fire departments in the United States, there may be a few in dire need for staff that they would resort to a foreign hire

You could try your luck with private firefighting units attached to industrial facilities, say in the petroleum and chemical industries, power generation, and heavy manufacturing. Or you could leverage your experience, knowledge, and expertise to work in the fire suppression service and consulting industry

Best of luck
          Thanks everyone for all the replies
          Realistically id love to try for a big city NY-Chicago-La etc but I guess there is close to no chance unless I get married/diversity visa at this time

Comment

Thanks @inadmissable. My browser does not want to open those lists for some reason. What is the list called for other H1-B jobs?

Here is another option:
            E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia
            The E-3 classification applies only to nationals of Australia. You must be coming to the United States solely to perform services in a specialty occupation. The specialty occupation requires theore
            Last edited by NettieL; 06-26-2017, 03:13 AM.
            Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
              Thanks @inadmissable. My browser does not want to open those lists for some reason. What is the list called for other H1-B jobs?

Here is another option:
              E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia
              https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...nals-australia
              Thanks for your replies guys
              With the E3 specially it says you need a job offer - would that be the same case with the employer not wanting to go out of their way for the extra paperwork etc when they can just hire from their usual citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh1234 View Post
                Thanks for your replies guys
                With the E3 specially it says you need a job offer - would that be the same case with the employer not wanting to go out of their way for the extra paperwork etc when they can just hire from their usual citizens?
                It really depends whether your qualifications/profession qualifies for a visa. Employers don't mind to do paperwork if there is a need/shortage in your field.

If I were you, I would start to network through Linkedin, related ******** groups, etc to get a feel of what's out there and where the needs are. You can also get your resume in a format that they use in the US and send it to a few companies to test the water.

Another interesting link: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-becom...as-a-foreigner
                Last edited by NettieL; 06-26-2017, 07:43 AM.
                Not legal advice.

Comment

i don't think firefighter is a H-1B or E-3 type job

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X