Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Cananda on H1B, but without visa stamp in passport

Hi,

I am currently on H1B visa working in US. I last entered US in April this year, but my passport was expiring in Oct 2017, so the I-94 stamp that I got at immigration was valid only till Oct 2017. I got my passport renewed and my company suggested me to travel once again outside US, so that when I enter back, my I-94 stamp is corrected. I am planning to visit Canada (Vancouver) for 2-3 days for this purpose. I will be applying for Canadian tourist visa.

Are there any caveats in this process that I should be aware of?

Secondly, I need to take my wife along, who is also on H1B visa. But her problem is that her Visa stamp itself is old and corresponds to her previous employer. She has not traveled outside USA after she changed her job. She has valid I797 from current employer.

I heard about this "automatic revalidation", where she can travel to Canada for less than 30 days and at immigration, present her current I797 and corresponding documents to enter. How exactly does this work? Is there a high risk of entry being denied because she doesn't have latest H1B stamped?

If denied entry, what all options do we have? Do we need to travel to India to get H1B stamped? I want to know all the risk involved, because she is 5-months pregnant, so can't afford to have lot of stress.

Thanks for help!

Originally posted by sid87 View Post
    Hi,

I am currently on H1B visa working in US. I last entered US in April this year, but my passport was expiring in Oct 2017, so the I-94 stamp that I got at immigration was valid only till Oct 2017. I got my passport renewed and my company suggested me to travel once again outside US, so that when I enter back, my I-94 stamp is corrected. I am planning to visit Canada (Vancouver) for 2-3 days for this purpose. I will be applying for Canadian tourist visa.

Are there any caveats in this process that I should be aware of?

Secondly, I need to take my wife along, who is also on H1B visa. But her problem is that her Visa stamp itself is old and corresponds to her previous employer. She has not traveled outside USA after she changed her job. She has valid I797 from current employer.

I heard about this "automatic revalidation", where she can travel to Canada for less than 30 days and at immigration, present her current I797 and corresponding documents to enter. How exactly does this work? Is there a high risk of entry being denied because she doesn't have latest H1B stamped?

If denied entry, what all options do we have? Do we need to travel to India to get H1B stamped? I want to know all the risk involved, because she is 5-months pregnant, so can't afford to have lot of stress.

Thanks for help!
    Did you check with local CBP office if they would extend your I-94 base don renewed passport?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X