Lost green card, do I need to file I-131

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost green card, do I need to file I-131

I lost my green card in Mexico on my way back to El Salvador where I live. I asked the local embassy and they said I need to file both I-90 and I-131, but I don't really need to re-enter the US at the moment. Can I just file I-90?. Also if an interview is requested for biometrics for I-90, can I have the interview in El Salvador?.

You can file the I-90 and forget the I-131. But you will have to be interviewed in the U.S., or at least fingerprinted at a Biometrics appointment. You might have difficulty reentering the U.S.without a Reentry Permit (from I-131).

--Ray B

Originally posted by cinpacheco22 View Post
    I lost my green card in Mexico on my way back to El Salvador where I live. I asked the local embassy and they said I need to file both I-90 and I-131, but I don't really need to re-enter the US at the moment. Can I just file I-90?. Also if an interview is requested for biometrics for I-90, can I have the interview in El Salvador?.

Comment

Originally posted by cinpacheco22 View Post
      You can't file I-90 until you return to the US. For entering the US, the consulate can give you a transportation letter. This is not the same thing as a Re-entry Permit (which can only be applied for when in the US), and I-131 is not applicable for you. I believe the consulate may make you fill out I-131A for the transportation letter.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X