Traveling - GC extension expiration month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling - GC extension expiration month

My green card had expired without my noticing it so I filed for a replacement back in October 2016. I filed my I-90, went to my interview appointment and was given an extension sticker on the back of my green card that extends the validity until the replacement comes. They have punched August 2017. Does anyone know for certainty that means the extension inclusive of the month of August? Can I travel on any date in August? I doubt I will receive the replacement before I would like to travel in August. I want zero risk so will opt not to take my graduating daughter on a trip if it could cause any problems on re-entry.

You can get a Transportation Letter from the consulate abroad if your replacement doesn't arrive in time

Comment

Technically airlines are allowed to board you with an expired 10-year card. (See the CBP carrier information guide, page 36, "LPR’s with expired I-551’s may be boarded without penalty provided the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date.") But not all airlines may follow this. If they won't board you, you may have to get a transportation letter.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X