Any chances to continue work stay on h1b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chances to continue work stay on h1b

1. Currently on L1B. 5yr end in Feb-18. 6yr by Feb-19.
    2. H1B picked up in lottery this year. Pending approval.
    3. Yet to start the PERM process.

Looking at the processing time required for green card if I go for i140 premium processing, is there any chances I can continue my stay and work in US?

Originally posted by jdp View Post

Looking at the processing time required for green card if I go for i140 premium processing, is there any chances I can continue my stay and work in US?
    First, the max you can stay on L1B is 5yrs. So this ends in 6 months. How fast is your H1B moving? After getting it, who will sponsor your I-140? Do you have a sponsor? If that is your current company, why they are not sponsoring you now? You could fill for 140 now and 485 in October.

If you are planning to get H1B and change companies, Ok. But you will stay with a visa until they sponsor you a GC.

The I-140 will take you less than a month on premium but in order to stay you must fill the 485 before the expiration of your current visa.

Comment

Lib - visa status - picked in 2017 hib lottery . ... Now status is rfe

LIB Visa valid Nov-2017 , H1B picked up in lottery this year. Now the petition status is RFE ... what is your status now ... there are 5 to 7 RFe's issued out of 10. situation is very difficult for getting approval this time. Please be in touch with your hib status result/

thanks

Originally posted by jdp View Post

Comment

Lib - visa status - picked in 2017 hib lottery . ... Now status is rfe

LIb Visa valid Nov-2017 , H1B picked up in lottery this year. Now the petition status is RFE ... what is your status now ... there are 5 to 7 RFe's issued out of 10. situation is very difficult for getting approval this time. Please be in touch with your hib status result/

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sasvi View Post
          First, the max you can stay on L1B is 5yrs. So this ends in 6 months. How fast is your H1B moving? After getting it, who will sponsor your I-140? Do you have a sponsor? If that is your current company, why they are not sponsoring you now? You could fill for 140 now and 485 in October.

If you are planning to get H1B and change companies, Ok. But you will stay with a visa until they sponsor you a GC.

The I-140 will take you less than a month on premium but in order to stay you must fill the 485 before the expiration of your current visa.
          Not exactly correct. I485 can be applied only if the PD is current. If the person is from India or China, the PD will not be current. L1B is valid for 5 yrs, but L1B + H1 has a combined validity of 6 yrs. The reasoning for going to H1 would be that on approval of I140, you can get unlimited extensions until your PD becomes current.

So to answer the OP's questions: Yes, you should get the I140 process started promptly. Once your I140 gets approved, you can get extensions of your H1 (if accepted previously) until your PD becomes current.
          Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X