Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement GC request while abroad (I-90) online - permissible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement GC request while abroad (I-90) online - permissible?

Hi.

I would like to know if there is a restriction against applying for GC replacement while one is abroad using the USCIS online GC replacement feature? I heard it would take months to get a replacement GC and i thought i might want to get the ball rolling now.

I read on USCIS website and i could not find any lines saying that i have to be present in the USA to file for the GC replacement (unlike I 130). I will be in the USA in less than 2 months so i think i can attend any request for Biometric by then.

I still have a valid I 551 stamp on my passport.

any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by abumiqdad View Post
      any takers?
      I would *think* if you have kept all of the requirements to be a US Legal Alien, they can ship it to your home address in the US.

The way you put your question makes it sound as if you have not kept the US Residency (days in the US) requirement.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
        I would *think* if you have kept all of the requirements to be a US Legal Alien, they can ship it to your home address in the US.

The way you put your question makes it sound as if you have not kept the US Residency (days in the US) requirement.
        I have just activated my GC end of last year and the GC is MIA. Hence the need for a replacement. I am out of the USA (after activating the GC) but will go to the USA again (less that 1 year out of the USA).

Trying to establish myself there while i am away (getting a job etc). And will also do other stuff while i am in the USA soon to show my intent to reside in the USA.

I have an address that i have updated online AR 11.

But my question is: is there a requirement that I MUST PHYSICALLY BE IN THE USA when filing for I 90? (like I 130 requirement)?

Comment

anyone has any experience on this matter that can at least share what had been done?

Comment

As far as I know you don't need the plastic card. Your proof of residence is in your passport as a stamp. I-551. If you're concerned about legalities, wait until you're back in the US to get the plastic proof of your green card status and until then just show your passport at POE's.
            Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
              As far as I know you don't need the plastic card. Your proof of residence is in your passport as a stamp. I-551. If you're concerned about legalities, wait until you're back in the US to get the plastic proof of your green card status and until then just show your passport at POE's.
              So you would recommend me start the process (I-90 for GC replacement) once i am on US soil? Instead of now? (i will be in the USA early next month if everything goes to plan - but the duration would be for just 3 months - hence my worry that it might take months to get to biometric processing - so i would want to start the process now ).

Comment

I see it is taking a very long time these days for people to get replacement green cards. I don't see any reason why you have to be on US soil to file Form I-90. Therefore, I'd suggest filing the form online sooner rather than later, even if you're in the midst of your vacation

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X