Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing driver's license in the middle of GC Renewal Process

Hello everyone,

A question to fellow permanent residents or anyone who knows anything about this topic. I have been a green card holder for a while now (still haven't had a chance to start the naturalization process). Everything has been working out fine for me until I recently looked at my green card and realized that it expires in August of this year. I didn't know that the renewal process took anywhere between 3-6 months and sometimes even longer than that. As soon I found out, I went ahead and submitted my application for renewal, which is now processing. I will be submitting my biometrics next week, but God knows when I will actually be able to get the green card. Here comes the reason why I am asking for advice on this forum: my driver's license will expire on the same day as the green card and I am not sure if I can renew without a new green card. Since I drive full-time, not being able to renew my driver's license would mean no income for an unknown period of time. I checked with the DMV (I live in California), but all they told me was that the approval of the renewal would suffice (After checking online, I found out that there is no such thing as approval; USCIS just sends you the green card once it's processed). If anyone here knows anything about this, could you please give some advice as to how I can continue driving? Would I be able to get a temporary driver's license for the time being while my renewal is processing? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

All the best,

tutsieroll
    Of course! You can get your driver's license no problem!
    100.00%
    You can get your DL renewed, but it will sure take a lot of paperwork.
    0.00%
    I am not sure what your options are at this point.
    0.00%
    Nope. You're not getting your DL until you get your GC!
    0.00%
    The American Dream is over for you; pack up your bags and go back to wherever you came from.
    0.00%

Originally posted by tutsieroll View Post
    Hello everyone,

A question to fellow permanent residents or anyone who knows anything about this topic. I have been a green card holder for a while now (still haven't had a chance to start the naturalization process). Everything has been working out fine for me until I recently looked at my green card and realized that it expires in August of this year. I didn't know that the renewal process took anywhere between 3-6 months and sometimes even longer than that. As soon I found out, I went ahead and submitted my application for renewal, which is now processing. I will be submitting my biometrics next week, but God knows when I will actually be able to get the green card. Here comes the reason why I am asking for advice on this forum: my driver's license will expire on the same day as the green card and I am not sure if I can renew without a new green card. Since I drive full-time, not being able to renew my driver's license would mean no income for an unknown period of time. I checked with the DMV (I live in California), but all they told me was that the approval of the renewal would suffice (After checking online, I found out that there is no such thing as approval; USCIS just sends you the green card once it's processed). If anyone here knows anything about this, could you please give some advice as to how I can continue driving? Would I be able to get a temporary driver's license for the time being while my renewal is processing? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

All the best,

tutsieroll
    Is your current Green Card a 10 year one or a conditional 2 year one? The reason I ask is because of the expiration date matching the expiration on your Green Card. I know my initial CA ID had the same expiration date as my EAD

Comment

Make an InfoPass appointment. Take your I-90 receipt notice and valid passport with you to the Field Office for your appointment. Ask for an I-551 stamp in your passport. Present that I-551 stamp to the CA DMV

Comment

Originally posted by S_R_E View Post
        Is your current Green Card a 10 year one or a conditional 2 year one? The reason I ask is because of the expiration date matching the expiration on your Green Card. I know my initial CA ID had the same expiration date as my EAD
        It's a 10 year one. How did you handle your situation?

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          Make an InfoPass appointment. Take your I-90 receipt notice and valid passport with you to the Field Office for your appointment. Ask for an I-551 stamp in your passport. Present that I-551 stamp to the CA DMV
          I have been out of my home country for a while now, so I think my passport might have expired. Does that mean that I can't get a stamp?

Thanks!

Comment

It's a 10 year one. How did you handle your situation?
            I still have the ID I got with the EAD and will just keep that until it is close to expiring.

I'm not sure if they look at the expiration date of 10 year green cards‚*just in the same way your Social Security Card is free of restrictions once you have a 10 year green card.

Comment

I have been out of my home country for a while now, so I think my passport might have expired. Does that mean that I can't get a stamp?

Thanks!
              You can still get a stamp, just not on your passport. Bring two passport style photographs and they'll make a little card for you on Form I-94, then place the I-551 stamp on that

But first, have you tried just renewing your CA DL online?

Comment

You can still get a stamp, just not on your passport. Bring two passport style photographs and they'll make a little card for you on Form I-94, then place the I-551 stamp on that

But first, have you tried just renewing your CA DL online?
                That's perfect, thanks for the info! And to answer your question, I have just tried renewing my CA DL online, but it looks like I am not eligible for online renewal. Hopefully, everything will work out with the I-551 stamp.

Thanks once again!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X