Cruise - Using I-551 Temporary Stamp to re-enter US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise - Using I-551 Temporary Stamp to re-enter US

I have a cruise trip coming up shortly & the tickets are non-refundable at this point. The rest of my family members are US citizens. I've been waiting months for my new green card to replace the expired one, thinking I would have received it long before the cruise. Apparently it takes many months as I am finding out now. At the time of application (I-90) for the replacement last year, I was given an extension sticker on the back of my green card which stated "through the date" shown, & August 2017 punched. I was advised by cruise line to make sure with USCIS I was cleared to travel so I made an INFOPASS appointment with them which took about a week. At my appointment today, I found out that the extension sticker would have expired on the same day as original expiry date in August (i.e. before returning from the cruise) and not through the whole month of August as implied so she said I would need a temporary I-551 stamp in my Jamaican passport instead to re-enter the US which is equivalent to providing a valid green card on re-entry to the US. She also said that on receiving this stamp she needed to take the 'old' green card. So I now have ONLY a stamp in my passport now, no plastic card.

I asked at least 3 times whether I could have any trouble coming back in without an actual card and just the stamp, and she said she is sure that the stamp is 100% equivalent to proof of valid permanent resident status.

But I am stressed. Is this correct? Should I have any trouble re-entering?

Thanks for ANY help you can offer.

That is correct. The I-551 stamp carries the same force & effect as a green card

The green card is just a combination photographic identification & Form I-551 in handy dandy card form.

Comment

thanks, but what if

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      That is correct. The I-551 stamp carries the same force & effect as a green card

The green card is just a combination photographic identification & Form I-551 in handy dandy card form.

Any suggestions on what to do if there is an issue with recognizing the stamp? Can a field officer deny you boarding / re-entry based on his/her discretion, say he is unfamiliar with the stamp, is it legal for his decision to stand?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X