Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of document needed to prove you filed and paid taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of document needed to prove you filed and paid taxes?

My husband had his naturalization interview a few weeks ago and we received a letter this past weekend stating that more documents are needed in order to make a decision. It requested a letter from tax authority (I think that was the wording) that shows taxes filed and paid.

What kind of letter is this to call IRS about? How many years is he suppose to provide?

He called to ask but they said he had to schedule an appointment but there are no appointments available within 2 weeks.

Anyone had to do this?

I think they are requesting Tax Transcripts

I think if you just go to the website IRS.gov and type in tax transcript in the search box you should be able to get records of your taxes, I think IRS will only go back as far as 5 years, its a free service so you might as well get the 5 years. If you cant do it online you can always call IRS or go to your local office.

**** make sure to look at "transcript types", and read what each one is, so that you know which ones to order.
    Last edited by JDGF; 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mj_per View Post
      My husband had his naturalization interview a few weeks ago and we received a letter this past weekend stating that more documents are needed in order to make a decision. It requested a letter from tax authority (I think that was the wording) that shows taxes filed and paid.

What kind of letter is this to call IRS about? How many years is he suppose to provide?

He called to ask but they said he had to schedule an appointment but there are no appointments available within 2 weeks.

Anyone had to do this?
      MJ_Per

Did you figure out what they want about your taxes?
      What form did they want you to ask IRS FOR?
      Please let me know - I will have my NATURALIZATION interview
      I don't know what they ask you to bring (Tax related)

Comment

IRS Transcripts...

Hello

My wife and I are getting ready to apply for US Citizen (eligible starting Aug 2017) and I'm just doing some research... On the N-400, it states that we need to provide photocopies of last 5 year's tax return, so, in my case, I'd have to go back to 2012 - 2016. However, upon going to the IRS' website and logging in after creating an account:

IRS only goes back to 2013? I have been filing taxes since 2007.

So, has anyone encountered the same? Or have I misunderstood?

I believe this is the only way to minimize questions or delays (at least this part) to show that you've filed/paid in full.

Comment

Update on tax documents required

Hello!! When we called to find out more information on what type of document was needed and how far back they could not tell us over the phone. They said to schedule an infopass appt. We did and the guy could not tell him either!! It was frustrating so we just sent them what we had. We created an account with IRS and we were able to pull tax return transcripts as well as account transcripts for the past 5 years 2012-2016. We printed this out. My husband also provided a letter from his tax accountant on tax accountant's letterhead and signed by him confirming taxes have been filed and paid in the last 5 years.

We sent these off maybe 3 weeks ago. Just today his status was updated online and now it says "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled". We thought maybe they might not accepted printed out copies of transcripts so we also ordered them to be mailed to us from the IRS site but that only goes back to 2013. We were ready to drop those copies off next week until we saw the update today.

I honestly think just the tax return transcripts + account transcripts for the last 5 years would suffice since it shows you filed as well as how much tax you owed or did not owe and how much you paid.

Hope this helps!!

Originally posted by mj_per View Post

Anyone had to do this?
          - - - Updated - - -

For the interview he had only taken his tax returns from the last 2 years. He received a letter after his interview asking to submit a letter from tax authority basically proving he has filed taxes and paid. It didn't specify how many years back or what type of letter. My husband sent them tax return transcripts and account transcripts from the last 5 years (2012-2016) that show he filed and paid taxes when they were owed. He also supplied them with a letter from his accountant confirming.

Originally posted by AILE View Post
          MJ_Per

Did you figure out what they want about your taxes?
          What form did they want you to ask IRS FOR?
          Please let me know - I will have my NATURALIZATION interview
          I don't know what they ask you to bring (Tax related)
          - - - Updated - - -

Thank you JDGF - that's exactly what we did. My husband created an account on the IRS site and was able to print Tax Return Transcripts AND Account Transcripts for the last 5 years (2012-2016). That is what we provided them with and now his status has been updated to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled".

You can also order these transcripts to be mailed to your house if you don't have an account. Creating an account is free and provides a lot of information on your past tax returns. The ones that are mailed to you only go back to 2013.

Originally posted by JDGF View Post
          I think if you just go to the website IRS.gov and type in tax transcript in the search box you should be able to get records of your taxes, I think IRS will only go back as far as 5 years, its a free service so you might as well get the 5 years. If you cant do it online you can always call IRS or go to your local office.

**** make sure to look at "transcript types", and read what each one is, so that you know which ones to order.

Comment

Just bring your taxes with you.

I would make copies of the tax returns and bring them with you. Simple. I did it, and I brought mine with me even though they didn't ask for it, but I wanted to be prepared.

Comment

Update!!

I just wanted to updated everyone - last week I believe on Wednesday (9/6/17) or Thursday (9/7/17), my husband received an email from immigration letting him know that his oath ceremony will be Tuesday, September 12th and that a formal letter would be arriving soon. We received that letter on Saturday.

Very short notice but we are happy that he will officially become a US Citizen tomorrow.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X