interview for adjustment of status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview for adjustment of status

i had my interview today at newark.My wife is petitioning for me.the interviewer called me and my spouse in.Once we got to the room he ask us to raise our hand and swear an oat.after he asked us to have out sit.He ask for our id and my intl passport and social security.After he asked me to take a picture and then tumbprint and then ask me to leave for the waiting room leaving only my wife with him.After like 20min my wife came to the waiting room and tell me the interview is over.Interview over without questioning me ? i asked my wife how the interview went and she said the interviewer ask asked her where we live, how we met, where i work, has she met any of my family members and she answered correctly the last question he asked is she aware i have a sister in ohio and she said she is not aware that i have sister here in the us that i never talk about it that she only know my brother here in the newark and my sister back in my home country.I purposely didn't tell her abt my sister ohio because she is no longer part of our family my father has disown her and we are not longer in talking terms for the past 5yrs and i have never get in touch with her since i came to the state.She said immediately the interviewer gave her a form to fill and tell her the interview is over.i ask her what kind of form is that she said he told him its a waiver form.what kind of waiver form thats where i begin to sense a foul play and i ask a lady at the front desk what the waiver form is about and she told us its a form consenting that the marriage is fraudulent immediately my wife heard this she was so devastated and requested to see the interviewer again.After like 10 min the interviewer called her inside back and she flare up at him and tell him he didn't tell her the content of the letter that she sought it was part of the interview process.She said the interview took out the waiver for m from the folder and tell her we should be expecting a notice in the mail.Pls i need someone who have been in the same circumstance to advise me.Are they going to schedule another interview or what is going to happen.Our marriage is legit and not sham.the interviewer is just a mean man as my wife said its seems he is not invoke with his job.Pls people share your opinion with me.Thnaks

Am sorry things went south for you. First thing you need is to get a lawyer and your wife should never sign anything without reading the content. If your marriage is genuine you shall be fine but expect a lot of scrutiny. They will probably call you back for a stokes interview and may come to your home unannounced to make sure you live together.

Comment

If your adjustment of status is denied you can apply again

You have no control over the attitude of the adjudicating officer, but you can coach your spouse into being a more competent advocate for you, and you can be more forthcoming with her about your personal life so that she can corroborate all the details

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post

You have no control over the attitude of the adjudicating officer, but you can coach your spouse into being a more competent advocate for you, and you can be more forthcoming with her about your personal life so that she can corroborate all the details
        I don't think the word "coach" is an appropriate word to use. He was not honest by not letting his wife know about his sister. Marriage is about telling each other everything, the good and the bad. Sure the wife could have read what she was about to sign and the officer could have been nice and at least told her.

Both parties are at fault. At this point, I would get a lawyer.
        Forms sent 6/2
        Forms received 6/4
        Received texts/e-mails 6/6
        PD 6/5 & 6/6
        NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
        Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
        SR 9/2
        Contacted Congressman 10/1
        Called the Congressman's office 10/10
        Interview letter 10/10
        Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
        Received EAD/AP card 10/17
        Interview 11/8 RFE after
        New Card Being Produced 11/16
        Conditional GC received 11/24

Comment

Question: how did IO know you had a sister in Ohio?

Originally posted by walex18 View Post
          i had my interview today at newark.My wife is petitioning for me.the interviewer called me and my spouse in.Once we got to the room he ask us to raise our hand and swear an oat.after he asked us to have out sit.He ask for our id and my intl passport and social security.After he asked me to take a picture and then tumbprint and then ask me to leave for the waiting room leaving only my wife with him.After like 20min my wife came to the waiting room and tell me the interview is over.Interview over without questioning me ? i asked my wife how the interview went and she said the interviewer ask asked her where we live, how we met, where i work, has she met any of my family members and she answered correctly the last question he asked is she aware i have a sister in ohio and she said she is not aware that i have sister here in the us that i never talk about it that she only know my brother here in the newark and my sister back in my home country.I purposely didn't tell her abt my sister ohio because she is no longer part of our family my father has disown her and we are not longer in talking terms for the past 5yrs and i have never get in touch with her since i came to the state.She said immediately the interviewer gave her a form to fill and tell her the interview is over.i ask her what kind of form is that she said he told him its a waiver form.what kind of waiver form thats where i begin to sense a foul play and i ask a lady at the front desk what the waiver form is about and she told us its a form consenting that the marriage is fraudulent immediately my wife heard this she was so devastated and requested to see the interviewer again.After like 10 min the interviewer called her inside back and she flare up at him and tell him he didn't tell her the content of the letter that she sought it was part of the interview process.She said the interview took out the waiver for m from the folder and tell her we should be expecting a notice in the mail.Pls i need someone who have been in the same circumstance to advise me.Are they going to schedule another interview or what is going to happen.Our marriage is legit and not sham.the interviewer is just a mean man as my wife said its seems he is not invoke with his job.Pls people share your opinion with me.Thnaks

Comment

Walbrzyszanka,

Maybe "coach" isn't the right word, but I hope it helped conveyed what I was thinking

Immigration is a journey and spouses are partners in that journey. Legally, it is merely enough to have a bona fide marriage, but in practice the spouse is an active participant in the process.

That spouse needs to have an understanding of the procedures and rules that pertain to the immigration benefits the alien seeks. That spouse needs to have a complete understanding of the aliens history: at a minimum their residence, education, work, criminal, marriage, and immigration history, as well as details about their family. That spouse also needs to be able to avoid being intimidated, confused, or mislead by authority figures.

If the spouse is not equipped with all these capacities, it is up to the alien to teach/coach/train the spouse appropriately. I'm still struggling to find the right word to describe it, but you get my drift

steadygaze,

Probably from his initial non-immigrant visa application years ago, Form DS-160 that asked about family members in the United States. If it wasn't that (if he then thought that family members he didn't like didn't count as family members), then it seems USCIS digs deeper than I expected

Comment

Walbrzyszanka,

Maybe "coach" isn't the right word, but I hope it helped conveyed what I was thinking

Immigration is a journey and spouses are partners in that journey. Legally, it is merely enough to have a bona fide marriage, but in practice the spouse is an active participant in the process.

That spouse needs to have an understanding of the procedures and rules that pertain to the immigration benefits the alien seeks. That spouse needs to have a complete understanding of the aliens history: at a minimum their residence, education, work, criminal, marriage, and immigration history, as well as details about their family. That spouse also needs to be able to avoid being intimidated, confused, or mislead by authority figures.

If the spouse is not equipped with all these capacities, it is up to the alien to teach/coach/train the spouse appropriately. I'm still struggling to find the right word to describe it, but you get my drift

steadygaze,

Probably from his initial non-immigrant visa application years ago, Form DS-160 that asked about family members in the United States. If it wasn't that (if he then thought that family members he didn't like didn't count as family members), then it seems USCIS digs deeper than I expected
              Might be going off topic with this thread but obviously the IO had his suspicions from the get go. I have never heard of an interview where the first thing they do is separate you-not that i have heard it all. For the IO to immediately end interview and make the USC spouse sign a statement admitting to a sham marriage just because the petitioner has not told her about a "sibling" in OHIO is very strange. I think at the very least they need to consult a good attorney because i can only see this going south.

Comment

That is what the FBI is for. They would investigate everything and do background check prior to USCIS interview. Not a surprise that they know about the sister even when it has not been included in the application.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience. When it comes to immigration you need to have full disclosure with your partner as an IO can ask anything. I can understand if your sister is no longer in your life but your partner should have been aware. I think there is more to this story than what's being told. Usually you are separated when there is some type of red flag for immigration. Sorry to say but being an adult means taking responsibility for your own actions, your partner should have read any documents she puts her name and signature to regardless if it's pertaining to immigration or not. You might have to do a stokes interview, make sure you each know as much about each other, your home and daily life as possible. Dont give up, Good Luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steadygaze View Post
                    Question: how did IO know you had a sister in Ohio?
                    probably from the ds160 form i filled when getting the visa and its was cleared stated on the form that i am visiting her during my trip

Comment

My adjustment was denied

I got the notice in the mail that my adjustment was denied. Pls who know a very good immigration lawyer i can consult in newjersey.thanks

Comment

my guy,your best bet now is to get a lawyer and they will do more investigation about you even after your lawyer comes in like,coming to your place to check.Not to worry,God is in control

Comment

I think your wife intentionally set you up for failure. You probAbly did something wrong to your wife, and she's decided to get back at you on the day if interview. She probably called the office ahead of time to raise an alarm, and that's why they had to send you out to talk to her alone. Plus what food wife would just sign a document to incriminate her husband without knowing what it truly says, unless the marriage is a sham and she's trying to save herself and not get in trouble. This is just my opinion though, I hope everything works out for you fam.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X