Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different SEVIS on I 20 and Visa, how do I get that changed

Hi all,

I am currently on F1 status doing my Masters. I want to explain my situation very clearly as it's very complex.
    I got my VISA with the SEVIS number that is given on my I20 from a college, but I deferred my I20 and hence I got a new I20 with a different SEVIS number.
    So now the SEVIS on my I20 and VISA are different. I talked to my college about this but they said that it won't be a barrier to enter into the USA.
    I came to USA with no problem. After coming here I transferred to a different college and hence got my SEVIS transferred (The new SEVIS after deferring). Few months before I went to India and while I was returning I was stopped at Indian Immigration saying that my VISA is not valid as I have different SEVIS on my I20 and VISA. I somehow convinced the immigration officers and boarded the flight and at the port of entry in USA, I was not questioned anything about this but, the officer only asked why I am here and which college did I previously go to.
    Now, I need help in how to resolve this issue to avoid facing situations further. I want my SEVIS to be same on my VISA and I20 as I am going to apply for my OPT soon. I need to know whom to contact regarding this and what are the steps to be followed. The college I am studying in right now says that won't be a problem but I have a feeling that they're not sure of it. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Same situation

Hi! So i'm in the same situation as yours (different SEVIS number for i-20 and visa). What did your DSO say? Did you make a new visa?

Comment

Originally posted by priyamachani View Post
      Hi all,

I am currently on F1 status doing my Masters. I want to explain my situation very clearly as it's very complex.
      I got my VISA with the SEVIS number that is given on my I20 from a college, but I deferred my I20 and hence I got a new I20 with a different SEVIS number.
      So now the SEVIS on my I20 and VISA are different. I talked to my college about this but they said that it won't be a barrier to enter into the USA.
      I came to USA with no problem. After coming here I transferred to a different college and hence got my SEVIS transferred (The new SEVIS after deferring). Few months before I went to India and while I was returning I was stopped at Indian Immigration saying that my VISA is not valid as I have different SEVIS on my I20 and VISA. I somehow convinced the immigration officers and boarded the flight and at the port of entry in USA, I was not questioned anything about this but, the officer only asked why I am here and which college did I previously go to.
      Now, I need help in how to resolve this issue to avoid facing situations further. I want my SEVIS to be same on my VISA and I20 as I am going to apply for my OPT soon. I need to know whom to contact regarding this and what are the steps to be followed. The college I am studying in right now says that won't be a problem but I have a feeling that they're not sure of it. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.
      Hi i have been through similar circumstances I was in Stevens first got sevis terminated entered with new I-20 and new sevis to NYU on stevens visa I got OPT filled RFE properly and now I have an H1B (RFE for H1b is very crucial especially for transfers to show that u maintained correct status in old school, etc). If you need any help reply me your email address on this forum or contact me at [email protected]. I'll guide you what to do. Even I had a lot of help from this forum and I know how it feels to go thru this time.

Comment

Originally posted by pwanandi View Post
        Hi! So i'm in the same situation as yours (different SEVIS number for i-20 and visa). What did your DSO say? Did you make a new visa?
        Contact me on my email id posted on the reply. I have been through similar situation and I can help you

Comment

Originally posted by pwanandi View Post
          Hello
          I have same issue did you find any solution on that.
          Thankyou

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X