Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshly naturalized....yumm

lol.Hey IH peeps

Like the most of you, I am beyond doubt, confused about the OCI process. So much that, parts of me are contemplating just a 10 year visitor visa and cross the money/inheritance bridge when I get there.

Which brings me to my first question,
    1.Can I apply for an OCI years after I renounced(I plan to do this) Indian Citizenship? Any PERSONAL significant benefits from applying for an OCI(outside the pros listed on multiple websites)?

2.Back to OCI(if I were to apply), I read many times about a check list, but cant find a URL. Is that shared at the end of CKGS or Indian embassy process?

3. Overall process as I understand, apply for renun($175) + OCI package($375). Ship out the filled paper work in two different packages after
    3.1. CKGS payment, 3.2. completing Consulate paperwork, 3.3 completing CKGS process with web ref. from 3.2.

Am I missing something above?

4. Question reg. the two pictures for 3.2 above

4.1. Passport size pic cannot be the same the one in the passport - which passport do they mean? Indian or your new(US in my case)?
    4.2. Is a 'signature picture' same as a scanned copy of your signature? or a passport pic with your signature on it?

5. Lastly, how long has it take peeps in Houston juris. to get their OCI? What would you do different with the whole app.?

TIA

One significant benefit of OCI is not personal, it is for your family and future family. It allows your spouse, your children's future spouses, and your future children's children to derive OCI from you. This would be particularly helpful for a family member who is not of Indian origin themselves, but may wish to reside in India

(Your children and grandchildren may also be able to obtain OCI on their own because of their Indian origin, but death & divorce may give you grandchildren and in-laws that don't meet the requirements to get OCI on their own)

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      One significant benefit of OCI is not personal, it is for your family and future family. It allows your spouse, your children's future spouses, and your future children's children to derive OCI from you. This would be particularly helpful for a family member who is not of Indian origin themselves, but may wish to reside in India

(Your children and grandchildren may also be able to obtain OCI on their own because of their Indian origin, but death & divorce may give you grandchildren and in-laws that don't meet the requirements to get OCI on their own)
      Great point inadmissible! Curious, how long back did you get yours? I take you have one and since then, been to India. How has your experience been dealing with the "babus" back home? Any discrimination/bias from airport to travel?

Comment

Originally posted by krisk17 View Post
        lol.Hey IH peeps

Like the most of you, I am beyond doubt, confused about the OCI process. So much that, parts of me are contemplating just a 10 year visitor visa and cross the money/inheritance bridge when I get there.

Which brings me to my first question,
        1.Can I apply for an OCI years after I renounced(I plan to do this) Indian Citizenship?
        I was naturalized 20+ years ago. I applied for OCI this year, SF consulate.

First, I had to submit the "Renunciation Only" application. Took about a month to get the "Renunciation Certificate", which is a required document for OCI application.
        I then proceeded to immediately apply for OCI.

Are you saying you already have this "Renunciation Certificate"?

If you do not yet have the certificate, I don't see the point of applying for Renunciation now if you are not going to apply for OCI immediately thereafter.
        Last edited by ravifremont; 08-15-2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X