Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Outside USA while Green Card is Pending

Hello Everyone
    Can someone please help me? My wife got her Conditional Green Card in mid-June, 2017. There was an error in her name and so I contacted USCIS. They told me to fill out new I-90 Form. The person that I spoke to told me that he put the case on expedited request.
    The biometric notice was received last week. Does anyone know how long after biometrics will we receive our new Green Card?
    Also my wife and I planning to travel outside US. Is it possible for her to travel outside US while her Green Card request is being processed or should we wait for the Green Card and then travel?

Thank You

Make an Infopass appointment, and go to the USCIS Field Office with her unexpired passport and the I-90 filing receipt. Ask for a I-551 stamp

Comment

Answer for your question.

So I had almost same kind of situation, after I got my original green card I seen an error in my first name. What I did is I called uscis told them about this error and they instructed me how to send the green card back and how to fill the i90 form which I did it correctly. After I don't remember exactly how many months they scheduled and biometrics appointment took my picture and finger prints, so then in meanwhile I was planning to travel called uscis told them how can I travel without my green card, they said schedule and info pass appointment tell the officer about your travel and they 'll put a stamp in your passport which they did. I thought ok I'm on safe side I can come back to US later with the stamp but while coming back here the immigration office at the country which I visited had stopped me said sorry you cannot travel on this stamp bcz it's only valid in US we can't let you go on this, I was like whatttt are you serious. Then after couple of days my new green card was mailed at my home in US, my parents mailed it through fedex which was very risky and that's how I came back. The other option was to go to the nearest embassy to get a bparding foil which let you travel. I suggest you not to travel without you actual green card or re entry permit from uscis which will take about 2 months to get approve and mailed, don't just travel on a stamp which they 'll put on your passport.

Comment

Originally posted by shabbir123 View Post
        So I had almost same kind of situation, after I got my original green card I seen an error in my first name. What I did is I called uscis told them about this error and they instructed me how to send the green card back and how to fill the i90 form which I did it correctly. After I don't remember exactly how many months they scheduled and biometrics appointment took my picture and finger prints, so then in meanwhile I was planning to travel called uscis told them how can I travel without my green card, they said schedule and info pass appointment tell the officer about your travel and they 'll put a stamp in your passport which they did. I thought ok I'm on safe side I can come back to US later with the stamp but while coming back here the immigration office at the country which I visited had stopped me said sorry you cannot travel on this stamp bcz it's only valid in US we can't let you go on this, I was like whatttt are you serious. Then after couple of days my new green card was mailed at my home in US, my parents mailed it through fedex which was very risky and that's how I came back. The other option was to go to the nearest embassy to get a bparding foil which let you travel. I suggest you not to travel without you actual green card or re entry permit from uscis which will take about 2 months to get approve and mailed, don't just travel on a stamp which they 'll put on your passport.
        Shabbir

Thank you so much for replying back to my question. while checking online I found out that lot of people suggested not to travel without Green Card just like you suggested.
        if you don't mind may I ask what country did you travel to?

You also mentioned that your Green Card arrived two days after couple of days after that incident. Did some one from your family contacted USCIS and told them you were stuck so they expedited your Green Card or was it your luck that your Green Card came two days later?

can you please explain what you mean when you say "The other option was to go to the nearest embassy to get a bparding foil which let you travel"?.... what is "bparding foil"

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X