CR-1 (US Residence/Domicile Issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CR-1 (US Residence/Domicile Issue)

It was great reading your comments on issues relating to domicile in USA and green card application. CR-1
    My name is Ellen, a final year University student here in Ghana. I am a US and Ghanaian citizen (dual citizen). I have been in Ghana for about 7 years (since 2010). I am currently married and we have a 11 months old child together who has his US passport and the birth abroad certificate now.
    We just received our APPROVED I-130 petition for my husband yesterday after exactly 3 weeks of filling. Although, we are waiting to hearing from the NVC (Consulate/Embassy)department - GHANA.
    Please Note: our case is direct filling from abroad - Ghana.
    I do understand that, the next process would demand an affidavit of support form I-184 by which we have relatives who are willing to sign for us. But the issues now are that;

1. Do I qualify to file the affidavit of support? Taking into consideration my studies and not having any income and my domicile (Residence) issue to the States. Although, I do have the following points ;
    a. Prove of studies(University student) here in Ghana

b. Applied and received my Social Security Number just last month, and awaiting for our Child's own

c. Applied and received Child Born abroad certificate and US passport for our child

d. Still having US mailing address which is connected to my parents - which I do not want to have anything to do with them on this issue base on family issue.

2. If yes, do i need to file in addition to the co/joint sponsor?

3. If No, is there any chance for us or something we could do because, we plan settling down as soon as possible in the states.

Thank you.

As the petitioner, you must always file an I-864 Affidavit of Support, even if your income is not enough. If your household income is not enough, they a joint sponsor will also need to file an I-864 Affidavit of Support.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X