Traveling with infant to India while OCI is pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with infant to India while OCI is pending

I'm on work visa in the US and my wife is on H4. My project will be complete in few months time (roughly by April/May next year), beyond which we are planning to return to India for good. We are expecting a baby and the delivery date is by middle of February next year. We are planning to have the delivery in the US itself for personal reasons, but somewhat clueless about the travel and visa implications after delivery, especially to the baby.
    1. We will have to travel within 8-10 weeks after delivery. I am positive about the getting US passport within 8 weeks, but not so on the OCI card. Lets say I get the US passport in 4 weeks, and I apply for OCI a week later. Since I applied for OCI card, can I apply for Indian tourist visa with 5 years validity on US passport (as mentioned in http://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/tourist-visa)? If the OCI card arrives while the baby is in India, can he/she continue to stay in India even after the 5 year window or should the baby return to US and re-enter India to enter with OCI card?
    2. If the child grows up in India with US citizenship, will there be any tax burden on him/her until the age of 18? Will parents lose any tax benefits in India if their dependent children are not Indian citizens? How big a deal is it to renounce US citizenship once the child reaches age 18? Assuming the current rules continue, it should be fairly straightforward since the baby won't have tax burden when turning 18.

If it is way too risky to travel within 2 months after delivery, we will then have no choice but to advance our travel by 4 months and return before exceeding the safe travel time during pregnancy.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X