Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and Stories needed: N400 with 461 Days Abroad

Dear fellow immigrants,

I am due to apply for my N400 soon and I need your opinion on one of the crucial parts of the N400 application: trips abroad. I have taken a total of 8 trips abroad since obtaining my GC, with the max number of days spent outside the country during each trip being 97 days (some trips had 80 days and others had 60). The total number of days spent abroad is 461, which is less than the overall threshold. The problem is that between March 2014 - July 2015 (a period of 479 days) I have spent 322 days (or 68% of the period) abroad on business and stayed in the country for only 157 days (32%). The number of trips was 5, and 2 of them were only 12 apart.

My question is: will the immigration officer during the interview view some of those trips as one and consider them as a one long trip? I had a busy 12-month period between March 2014-March 2015 and I spent a total of 260 days abroad, which is above the 180-day threshold. Do you think this will cause a problem? Since the first day of my GC, I have been filing taxes on time and kept my employment with the same US employer. I am a single guy, but all of my immediate family members stayed in the US during my work travels. I have also kept paying my rent and every single bill and I have all the receipt. I am a law abiding citizen with not so much as a parking ticket.

I have done extensive research on the subject, but I would really appreciate it if someone can share with me an anecdote, where you have stayed outside the country for over 450 days in 5 years and spent close to 260 days on one single trip?

I have read all the laws and guides USCIS publishes, and I am only asking about anecdotes and similar stories. Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance,
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam30341; 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X