Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I run into problems with B2 -> Adjustment of Status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I run into problems with B2 -> Adjustment of Status?

Hi there, I posted in the Fiance visa section but it's also relevant here. I'll give you a summary of my situation.

Girlfriend is US citizen, I'm UK citizen with Australian Residency.
    We've been together for over 2 years.
    I came to visit her last year, and spent 11 months in America with her on a B2 visa (with extension).
    I proposed to her in Thailand in April, we scheduled our wedding for March 2018 and we started looking into K1 Visas.
    I came back to Australia, worked for 4 months and have returned to America to spend more time with her.
    I got some extra questioning at immigration. ' Are you planning on getting married whilst visiting America?' I said no.
    I was granted a 3 month stay.
    Our intention is to get married in March (I would go back to Australia one more time before returning under K-1), but now that we're together again, we really do not want to have to spend months apart again before the wedding.
    Getting married and filing for adjustment of status would make everything much easier but I'm worried about potential red flags.
    I know there is the 30-60 rule I've read about. I worry that if we got married in the 3rd month that would also raise alarms.

In hindsight we should have got married during the 11 months I was in America last year, but we didn't want to rush into a wedding.
    Basically I'm asking if I were to get married during my 3 month stay and file for adjustment of status, will there be problems? I don't want to be seen committing visa fraud. I didn't come with the intention of getting married, but it makes practical sense to get married while I'm here.

Thanks

Be prepared

Just be prepared for the questions. IF you are asked why you said you weren't getting married during your visit and then you did it just explain truthfully. you changed your mind during the visit. show that you were planning a later wedding and things changed. those questions probably won't even come. instead they will more than likely focus on your relationship and making sure it's legit.
    This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X