H1B Approved After Expiration Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Approved After Expiration Date

My employer (university - cap exempt) submitted H1B for me on August 2016. The petition stated that this H1B should be valid starting from December 2016 till April 2017. The immigration department in my university made a mistake when they requested the expiration date to be April 2017 instead of April 2019!

Yesterday (August 23 2017) I have received the notice of approval.

Based on this, USCIS made the H1B petition valid for APR 20 2017 to APR 30 2017. However, I did not receive the notice of approval until August 2017. So I have been working and receiving income using my J1 visa till today. Also the grace period (30 days) has already passed, so the university cannot apply for H1B extension (right?).

The immigration department verified today that my J1 visa (SEVIS) is still valid on the system. But it is expected to drop out any day.

On the other hand, I have applied for EB2-NIW on January 2017, which it's I-140 got approved in May 2017. Then, I applied for change of status (I-485) on June 2nd 2017 but still did not receive the work authorization card.

1- I do not know what should I do now?

2- The immigration officer in my university suggested that I continue working as long as my SEVIS is valid on the system. Will I be violating any rules if I do this?

3- Will this cause a problem during my background check for green card (I-485)?

4- Could my university complain to USCIS because they provided the notice of approval so late (4 months after effective date)?

Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X