Married To A USC After Expired Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married To A USC After Expired Visa

Please, does anyone know of someone who recently adjusted his or her status after their visa got expired; Or who overstayed their visa, genuinely got married to a US citizen, and then adjusted status.
    Kindly share your experience or the experience of the person you know. I'd really appreciate if you can also speak on the timeline. Thanks and God bless you.

Originally posted by Abrahamm View Post
    Please, does anyone know of someone who recently adjusted his or her status after their visa got expired; Or who overstayed their visa, genuinely got married to a US citizen, and then adjusted status.
    Kindly share your experience or the experience of the person you know. I'd really appreciate if you can also speak on the timeline. Thanks and God bless you.
    Many people i know. Nothing to be scared about,if you came on a visa and have an I-94,go ahead and have your USC wife file an I-130 for you. All the best.

Comment

Came to the US in 2001 on a tourist visa (B1/B2). Obviously overstayed. Married 4/17 and my PD is 6/5 and 6/6. Did my biometrics 6/28. Now just waiting. Will raise a SR this Saturday since no update on my cases. I have a work permit through DACA which is expiring January 2018 so I need my EAD through AOS before that.
      Forms sent 6/2
      Forms received 6/4
      Received texts/e-mails 6/6
      PD 6/5 & 6/6
      NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
      Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
      SR 9/2
      Contacted Congressman 10/1
      Called the Congressman's office 10/10
      Interview letter 10/10
      Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
      Received EAD/AP card 10/17
      Interview 11/8 RFE after
      New Card Being Produced 11/16
      Conditional GC received 11/24

Comment

My cousin who was out of F-1 status filed for AOS in 2015 and got approved. He's currently re-applying for his 10-year green card. He said the immigration officer didn't seem to care what his status had been prior to that point -- all the questions were about his marriage.

Comment

It's 100% legally irrelevant for AOS for an Immediate Relative (spouse, unmarried under-21 child, or parent of US citizen) whether they were in status or not or how long they may have been out of status. Lots of people do it all the time and it is no different from any other AOS from the same category. The officer usually wouldn't even bring it up.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Same boat here. Came in 2004, overstayed in 2009. Been working and paying taxes since 2008. I even already have 36 credits with SSA. Got married in 2014. Applying for AOS now. Student at an IVY league school. We are all in this together! Don't worry too much and go for it!

Comment

Thank so much everyone. You guys are amazing and I'm so encouraged by your positive contributions. I'll keep updating as positive news start trickling in.
              So far, our package was received on Aug. 16, 2017 and we strongly believe God will surely take care of us.

Regards to all.

Comment

Thank so much everyone. You guys are amazing and I'm so encouraged by your positive contributions. I'll keep updating as positive news start trickling in.
                So far, our package was received on Aug. 16, 2017 and we strongly believe God will surely take care of us.

Regards to all.
                I just received my green card yesterday.
                Entered B2, filed marriage concurrently.
                All the best to you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X