Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa "renewal"

Hi,

I'm currently in the USA as a J-1 Student doing my PhD. While my DS2019 is current and valid, my initial visa stamp in my passport expired last year. I have to leave the country to attend a conference and thus need to get a new visa stamp. Usually, it shouldn't be a big deal, but the current situation makes me very anxious. Especially since it's not actually a "renewal" but technically a completely new visa.

Has there been any reports that J-1 are harder to get?
    Has anyone ever experienced problems when "renewing" a J-1 which initially was approved?
    How much time should I allocate? I have to go to my home country, but can only stay so long? Will 1.5 weeks be enough?
    What about binding ties? I've been living in the US for 2 years, now, and naturally cancelled everything that is usually used as binding ties (such as rental, cell phone and other contracts etc.)...

I'm really really nervous about this but especially concerned about how much time I should plan from the interview to my flight back.

Thanks

PS: I'm from Germany and do not have dual citizenship or anything that should - in theory - rise red flags. Never had problems during many visits on ESTA in the past nor with my first visa. However, times have changed...
    Last edited by siniang; 08-17-2017, 05:18 PM.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X