Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing B2 to F1 but SSN Issue

Hello forum,

My sister came in USA in 05/2015 with B2 visa (obviously, her I94 is B2 as well) and her status changed to F1 in 04/2016 via USCIS which the I-797A has the same I94 number but the "Class" is F1.
    She has held her F1 status valid and recently, she got an job offer from her school. However before starting working she has to present a SSN while it is the first time that she wants to get SSN.

Over the SSA appointment (we presented her University Job Offer, I20, Passport, SEVIS receipt, USCIS receipt etc.) but the officer said: "he cannot proceed this request for providing us an SSN because the I94 still says her status is B2". Also, he did not accept the original USCIS receipt that we had received already in 04/2016.

Right now, we do not know how and where we should start to fix this issue. Shall we contact USCIS, CBP (https://www.cbp.gov/), or SSA first?

Any help or sharing same experience will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Originally posted by applebee View Post
    Hello forum,

My sister came in USA in 05/2015 with B2 visa (obviously, her I94 is B2 as well) and her status changed to F1 in 04/2016 via USCIS which the I-797A has the same I94 number but the "Class" is F1.
    She has held her F1 status valid and recently, she got an job offer from her school. However before starting working she has to present a SSN while it is the first time that she wants to get SSN.

Over the SSA appointment (we presented her University Job Offer, I20, Passport, SEVIS receipt, USCIS receipt etc.) but the officer said: "he cannot proceed this request for providing us an SSN because the I94 still says her status is B2". Also, he did not accept the original USCIS receipt that we had received already in 04/2016.

Right now, we do not know how and where we should start to fix this issue. Shall we contact USCIS, CBP (https://www.cbp.gov/), or SSA first?

Any help or sharing same experience will be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Probably she presented the wrong I-94. The I-94 she received on entry is invalid now because she has already done a Change of Status and she has received a new I-94. She probably checked CBP's electronic I-94 website (which only has electronic I-94s issued on entry; things like Change of Status or Extension of Status are handled by USCIS which issues paper I-94s, which will never show up on that website), which still has that B2 I-94 from her entry, and used that, but that is not a valid I-94. She probably didn't realize that the approval notice for Change of Status, the I-797A, contains her new I-94 on it (probably as a section of the page), which supersedes any previous I-94s and is the I-94 she needs to use from now on. She might have referred to it as a "receipt" and not as her "I-94" which is the reason for the confusion. She should look at the approval notice, find the part on it that is the actual I-94, and go back to the SSA office and present that as her I-94, along with her I-20, job offer, etc.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Probably she presented the wrong I-94. The I-94 she received on entry is invalid now because she has already done a Change of Status and she has received a new I-94. She probably checked CBP's electronic I-94 website (which only has electronic I-94s issued on entry; things like Change of Status or Extension of Status are handled by USCIS which issues paper I-94s, which will never show up on that website), which still has that B2 I-94 from her entry, and used that, but that is not a valid I-94. She probably didn't realize that the approval notice for Change of Status, the I-797A, contains her new I-94 on it (probably as a section of the page), which supersedes any previous I-94s and is the I-94 she needs to use from now on. She might have referred to it as a "receipt" and not as her "I-94" which is the reason for the confusion. She should look at the approval notice, find the part on it that is the actual I-94, and go back to the SSA office and present that as her I-94, along with her I-20, job offer, etc.
      Thank you! The issue resolved. I am writing down this for friends who may have the same issue (hopefully not) in future:

1- As mentioned before, the first SSA officer (at location A) said "I-94 is still under B2"
      2- Second SSA officer (at location B) said "the job offer does not have date and it should not say more than 20 hours". (both BS) The job offer letter had a date on top. More than 20 hours is valid over annual academic year vacation.
      3- 3rd SSA officer (at location A) said "work starting date is before I20 date!"
      4- 4rd SSA officer (at location C) said "the major is X but the job offer is about Y"
      5- 5th SSA officer (at location D) said "OK", no excuses!

The city: Chicago, IL

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X