a few questions for my husbands papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions for my husbands papers

I am a US citizen and am sponsoring my husband.

First question, my husband has to file an adjustment of status, I-485, does he need to send in Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, with his initial application?

Second, when he entered the country he had his passport stamped by a US agent, does that mean he was inspected by a US Immigration Officer? and where in the stamp should I find the Nonimmigrant Visa Number? Also, do I just make a photocopy of the page that was stamped when he entered the US?

Third, the instructions for the I-485 mention that he can file an Application for Travel Document, Form I-131, at the same time he submits all of the rest of his paperwork, but we don't have dates for when we will be able to actually go and visit his family, is it ok if we leave those details blank since we do not have them?

Fourth, my husband traveled to the US using his passport. On page 7 of Form I-130 it asks for his Passport number and a Travel Document Number. Where do I find the Travel Document Number?

Fifth, also on Form I-130, on page 5 it asks for his address outside the United States, he lives here with me and my children in the US, do we just put the last address where he lived in his home country?

Sixth-Does the Important Document Information, FC-029, for certifying copies of documents, need to be attached to each item we copy, or just one from me and one from my husband?

Seventh-Do we need to attach the Form G-1145 to every application in our packet, ie one for the I-130, one for the I-485, one for the I-864, etc?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but these are the ones I can't find definite answers to so far.

Thanks in advance!

See my responses in CAPS after each question:

Originally posted by LostInPaperwork View Post

First question, my husband has to file an adjustment of status, I-485, does he need to send in Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, with his initial application?

YES

Second, when he entered the country he had his passport stamped by a US agent, does that mean he was inspected by a US Immigration Officer? and where in the stamp should I find the Nonimmigrant Visa Number? Also, do I just make a photocopy of the page that was stamped when he entered the US?

YES. HIS NONIMMIGRANT VISA NUMBER IS ON BOTTOM RIGHT OF VISA, NOT ON THE STAMP. PROVIDE COPIES OF HIS ID AND VISA PAGES.

Third, the instructions for the I-485 mention that he can file an Application for Travel Document, Form I-131, at the same time he submits all of the rest of his paperwork, but we don't have dates for when we will be able to actually go and visit his family, is it ok if we leave those details blank since we do not have them?

UNLESS YOUR HUSBAND ENTERED WITH A K1 OR EMPLOYMENT /STUDENT VISA, I WOULD NOT ADVISE FILING THE I-131.

Fourth, my husband traveled to the US using his passport. On page 7 of Form I-130 it asks for his Passport number and a Travel Document Number. Where do I find the Travel Document Number?

YOU CAN USE HIS VISA NUMBER FOR THE TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUEST.

Fifth, also on Form I-130, on page 5 it asks for his address outside the United States, he lives here with me and my children in the US, do we just put the last address where he lived in his home country?

YES.

Sixth-Does the Important Document Information, FC-029, for certifying copies of documents, need to be attached to each item we copy, or just one from me and one from my husband?

THE FC-029 IS NO LONGER USED OR EXPECTED.

Seventh-Do we need to attach the Form G-1145 to every application in our packet, ie one for the I-130, one for the I-485, one for the I-864, etc?

JUST ONE G-1145, PAPERCLIPPED AT BEGINNING OF YOUR PACKAGE.

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but these are the ones I can't find definite answers to so far.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Yes. Technically you could submit the medical later when they ask, but that is only advisable for categories where the dates may retrogress. Your husband is in the Immediate Relative category which has no wait for visa numbers, and sending it later would only delay it, so send it now.

Second, when he entered the country he had his passport stamped by a US agent, does that mean he was inspected by a US Immigration Officer?
      Yes, as long as he went through a regular border crossing and the officer saw him and let him in, he was inspected.

and where in the stamp should I find the Nonimmigrant Visa Number?
      It's in red on the visa.

Also, do I just make a photocopy of the page that was stamped when he entered the US?
      The most important thing is to provide a copy of his I-94. The entry is stamp is kind of redundant.

Just put "Unknown" or "TBD" in the questions that asks for date and length of trip.

It's one or the other. "Travel document" refers to a non-passport travel document (e.g. a passport-like travel document issued to non-citizens of a country for travel to other countries). If he used a passport, he didn't use a travel document, and he should put N/A.

For question 11 you put his US address; for question 12 you put "SAME"; and for question 13, yes, you can put where he lived before moving to the US.

no

one for the entire package

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      UNLESS YOUR HUSBAND ENTERED WITH A K1 OR EMPLOYMENT /STUDENT VISA, I WOULD NOT ADVISE FILING THE I-131.
      I strongly disagree. It is free to file and there is no downside, and you never know when something urgent may come up.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X