Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expedited AP timeframe with I-130 and I-485

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little help (maybe even some re-assurance) about my situation. I'm in the process of trying to apply for PR as the spouse of a USC with I-130 and I-485 (along with all supporting docs, I-131, I-508 and I-765), having recently returned from a vacation in Canada after getting married (hence only recently filling). We sent off my package on 9th August, which was received by USCIS on the 10th August. I called them today (21st August), as it had been over 10 days with no notification of receipt, to be told that the application was rejected due to an incorrect fee (i think we submitted one check instead of one for each of the forms). They also told me that the package was mailed back to me last Tuesday (15th August) and invited me to resubmit when I received it back. The big issue though is that my wife and I have travel already booked in the near future. On October 6-10th we are going to Cuba to participate in humanitarian activities under 'support for the cuban people', where we are going to be helping churches in the capital and participating in education programs. Then again in late December we will be traveling to the UK and Poland to visit family, as we have both not seen our families for a couple of years now.

So the questions:

1) How long does it take for the pack to be returned? It's now been 6 days since they mailed it
    2) What are the chances now of being able to resubmit in the next few days and get my I-131 approved in time?
    3) can it be expedited as it's for humanitarian reasons?
    4) I was told to file I-130 and I-485 concurrently. Could I do it separately? Is it worth it? My thoughts are file I-130 first, come back into the US on my E2 visa, then file I-485 when we get back from Cuba and hope that the AP document is ready before traveling to Europe in late December. Thoughts?
    5) Should I just wait until after we return from Europe? I'm really apprehensive about doing this however, as my contract expires in late February and my wife is a student at medical school so she has no income. I'm exceptionally worried that filling in Jan would mean that I can't even start looking for work until feb / march as no one will want to interview me if I don't have a valid EAD at the time.
    6) Any other suggestions or thoughts people have

Thanks for any help in advance, we really appreciate it! We are getting quite stressed as it means that we may have to forfeit the trip to Cuba even though we have paid for flights ect.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X