Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rental contract for AOS

Hello all,
    I'm married to a USC and we are preparing to file for AOS. We don't have good jobs. right now we are living in a house that we share with roommates. We have a rental contract for the house but I'm not sure if that would be enough
    for the immigration officers. the reason for this is because I'm still out of status and my job does not pay too much and my wife's job is only part time. Once I receive the work permit after filing, I plan to look for another better job
    and keep the one i have, and look for an apartment.

Is it a good idea to file the AOS with the rental contract that we have, and hopefully go to the interview months later with a lease and utility bills?

I just wanted to read other similar cases and what do you recommend? we live in Seattle

thanks

Help the master tenants (the lessees named on the rental contract) prepare an affidavit stating that you both live together at that residence, and when that arrangement began

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Help the master tenants (the lessees named on the rental contract) prepare an affidavit stating that you both live together at that residence, and when that arrangement began
      thanks. do you think that will be enough for the interview also, or should we look for another place?

Comment

Originally posted by asunto View Post
        thanks. do you think that will be enough for the interview also, or should we look for another place?
        its the preponderance of evidence that matters. Housing arrangements are just part of the picture but by no means the whole picture and they are different for everyone. Concentrate on gathering other evidence instead of moving to a place you can ill-afford on account of USCIS.

Comment

I agree with azbik. A joint lease naming the couple isn't a silver bullet in establishing marital union, much less a bona fide marriage. On the other hand, the lack of a joint lease naming the couple isn't an adjustment of status dealbreaker. Rather, it is but one of many pieces of evidence that indicates that you are living together, which itself is one but one of many pieces of evidence that you are married in good faith.

Instead of worrying about where you live, you should focus on evidence that you both live together. That includes evidence that you hold yourselves out as living at a particular location (address on your drivers licenses, bank statements, paystubs, friend's wedding invitations addressed to you both, etc) as well as evidence you actually live together (photographs of your family visiting, you hosting dinners for friends, etc)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X