Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Find
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Default K1 Visa Approved but need to divorce,,,,

My fiancee was approved on a K1 Visa and she moved to the US. We got married within the 90 day requirement. Unfortunately, we find ourselves incompatible and we both agreed that this marriage will not work.

But I also do not want her to be returned to her home country.

Question: how long should we stay married before we can divorce and her to remain legally in the USA?

Any feedback helps. ... thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jackfour
    My fiancee was approved on a K1 Visa and she moved to the US. We got married within the 90 day requirement. Unfortunately, we find ourselves incompatible and we both agreed that this marriage will not work.

But I also do not want her to be returned to her home country.

Question: how long should we stay married before we can divorce and her to remain legally in the USA?

Any feedback helps. ... thank you.
    She's "CONDITIONALLY" in permanent resident status - and will be for two years.

. Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Foreign spouses of U.S. citizens qualify for a green card as an immediate relative. Because of the perception that a large number of fraudulent marriages are entered into solely for the benefit of obtaining the Green Card, Congress enacted the Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendment (IMFA) in 1986.

This amendment dictates that when a foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen is given permanent resident status before the second year anniversary of the marriage, then that green card residence is subject to a conditional grant of residency for two years.

DaytonaFiremedic Guest

This is exactly why American men and women who go overseas to marry ligitimately have such a hard time with the immigration process. Because of guys like this pulling marriage fraud scams. Yeah how convienient that after you just get married , you both realize your incompatible. And the really sad thing about it is you actually think INS falls for this nonsense. Its actually 3 years that you have to be married. The green card is restricted for 2 years, but if a divorce takes place within 3 years , then the green card is revoked and she has to leave. Even if you wait the 3 years, they can investigate and find out that the marriage was over from the beginning and revoke the visa or greencard. They will check addresses, phone numbers,history, etc . They will go ask your neighbors if she was living with you. You will be surprised what they can do and find out if they really want. It does'nt matter if its even 10 years ago, there is no statue of limitations. If they find out if a greencard or citizenship was obtained under false pretenses, then they can revoke it and charge you with fraud. And its a felony fraud charge. She will get deported, but you will be paying off a hefty fine while your doing your 10 years probation. Dont be a fool. They should make it that you have to stay married for 20 years so this kind of nonsense stops. Anyway , between now and 3years i'm sure someone will convince her to blackmail you and take half your stuff or she will run to INS and tell them you knew the marriage was over from the beginning . Then you will have a new legal problem with the govt. . If you have half a brain, you will notify INS of the current status and file for an annullment before its too late.
    Last edited by DaytonaFiremedic; 05-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.

I agree. This SUX for people who have to fill 900 extra forms because of people who want to use and abuse the system.

Unhappy Question

My wife is from the Philippines and we have been married for 1.5 years. After the first few months all she did was fight with me about everything. I told her i couldn't live like this and asked her to make an appointment with a marriage counselor. On our third appoin tment the counselor said when my wife called and made the appointment she told him i hit her. Then she started saying that i emotionally, verbally, and physically abused her. I found a web site that said exactly the same way that she could become a full citizen because of that. It is obvious what her intentions were from the beggining. What can i do? i want her sent back.

Angry shame

thats why the system is so slow and they have to everthing dificul for the people this is one example.