Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ! -- Job Situation Change before Interview

Here's my situation.

Applied for Green card through marraige on May 15th - interview scheduled for AUG 30th.

The change: In the original application, in the financial support section, both my and my wife's salary was included as "total income" for our familiy of 4. ( I am working on an H1B visa).

However, as of Aug 15th ( 2 weeks before the interview) I plan to quit my job, to start school(MBA) full time. Hence, the most recent pay stubs I'll have will be from 2 weeks ago, also I wont have an employment letter and if asked I will tell them that I am no longer working.

How will the immigration officer respond to this "change" in financial situation, between teh application and interview ??

On my wife's salary alone, we are over teh poverty line for a family of 4 - but not by very much. We do have the savings to show in a bank account. A loan guarantee letter generation is also a possiblity.

Another possiblity, is to negotiate with my employer and go on some kind of unpaid leave of absense, so that a letter can be generated.

Is this something I should worry about ??
    Please advise on the best course of action here. Thank you.

Doesn't your MBA not start until school starts in Sept? Can't you keep working until August 30th?

Comment

I could if I really wanted to, as it is however, I didnt foresee this situation and have made plans for a vacation Aug 19 - 27th.

If this is really an issue - is it ??? - I guess I could just go on "vacation" at work and quit officially on like the 5th of Sept or something. The question is that is it an issue enough for me to do this trikery ?

Comment

You might have to for-go your vacation and stay at work for that time. You should have really requested a letter of employment months ago when you first filed for the process because unless your job had an exact "end" date, it would have still been good for the next while. If you are on good terms with your employer and are comfortable with asking them to have you on unpaid leave for a couple weeks, you could try that. But not every employer is up to doing that.

If you think you can hold off and quit on the 5th or something like that, it would probably be beneficial. However, if you are still above the poverty line with your wife's salary, you are meeting the requirements. It doesn't matter if you are just a little over or a lot over the line. When you don't have a lawyer, these questions are hard to answer because they would know exactly how to handle it and I'm definitely not a legal professional. Try not to worry though. I'm sure you feel like a bigger deal than it really is.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X