US born children education in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US born children education in India

I have a US born daughter with US passport and PIO. If we move to India, I heard that some specific schools charge NRI fees, is this true? Does that mean that the general schools do not have a higher fees for NRI kids?

Secondly if she studies in the Indian system upto 10 + 2 and wants to seek admission to engineering or medical, then under which quota will she be considered? NRI or general?

The problem is there are many like me who have kids born in Us but they live in India and earn an Indian income. Any higher fees in schools or colleges for them is completely unfair, specially just because their kids were born in the US and US considers them its citizens and India does not allow dual citizenship

I have been reading various forums for this information and what I colcluded is as follows:

1. US born baby with US Passport + PIO Card (or OCI) is considered NRI in india. and they have to pay NRI fees and gets admission in NRI quota. I think its around 5%, but varies.
    If Baby renounces US citizenship (only after age of 18) and acquires Indian citizenship then they'll be at par with indian citizens in every sector education, govt jobs etc.
    2. US born baby with Indian Passport is considered Indian citizen and gets all benefits in india.

I hope this answers your query.

I am not a lawyer and above information is only my personal knowledge and opinion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - This is not a legal advice. Please consult your attorney for legal advice.

Comment

HI need hlp

So i am a STUDENT studying in ninth grade and if i study 10 th grade in USA then do i have to pay the NRI fees in INDIA?
      ARE there any alternates for that?
      i am born in india though...
      WEjust came 6 monthes ago...
      if u can helpme that would be great.

Comment

You can find easily that type of schools in metro cities in India. You can find all details for that school through google perfectly and you have many option for that.

Comment

Education in International School in India

After going through matter I felt that Govt. has some unfairness. Thank God! I was not in such situation. My child is born in India and studying in Vivero preschools in Mumbai but my sympathy is still with harshalb

Comment

US citizens will always have advantages in US universities, but Indian citizens will always have advantages in Indian universities. But another point is after the child reaches 18, the person (now an adult) can make another choice of citizenship because at that age, the US allows renunciation of citizenship.

Comment

Carmel High School

ICSE School -Carmel High School, Bangalore
              About Carmel:
              Carmel High School is a learning community of excellence, enabling students of different language abilities to become independent learners and effective communicators. The School prepares students with the knowledge, discipline, and skills to succeed at university level and contribute to the multicultural world of the 21st century. The School's motto "Faith & Toil", are the core values that anchor everybody associated with the school and provides necessary guidelines for constant change. The best practices adopted in the administration of the school, enable key members to translate these core values and core purposes into tangible, measurable school practices and thus sustain its unique culture. Carmel High School represents the changing face of international education in Bangalore today.

Comment

Hi,

I realize that this has been discussed here before but I couldn't find a recent thread about school fees.

We are Indian citizen here in US and my wife is expecting baby soon. We are planning to apply Indian passport for the baby so that we don't struggle financially for baby's education.

All I want to know is if my child is US born and have Indian Passport, will the Indian schools fees be higher for the kid than the regular students ? If yes, how much will be the difference ?

PS: We are planning to settle in India and not planning to travel back to US in future.

Comment

See this link: http://cferussia.ru/index.php?id=nri...tudy-in-russia Lots of NRI's go to study Medicine in Russia and this organization has handled many expatriate Indian admissions in this Medical University which is the No1 in Russia and Eastern Europe, founded in 1758. My son studied there, too. There is no entrance exam, donation or underhanded dealings of any sort. Modern and in depth curriculum like the top European Universities. All the best to every concerned NRI parent!

Comment

Education after 18

Point to be noted. If Child is given Indian PP now and at the age of 18 Indian Gov. wants to choose 1 Citizenship either continue as IC by giving up USC OR surrender IC and be USC.

In this case if child decided to switch to USC at 18 then still parents will have to educated kid under NRI Quota i guess as higher education will start after 18 only. Anyone thought about this scenario ?
                    Last edited by cyber_007a; 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cyber_007a View Post
                      Point to be noted. If Child is given Indian PP now and at the age of 18 Indian Gov. wants to choose 1 Citizenship either continue as IC by giving up USC OR surrender IC and be USC.

In this case if child decided to switch to USC at 18 then still parents will have to educated kid under NRI Quota i guess as higher education will start after 18 only. Anyone thought about this scenario ?
                      This is such a stupid thing you will ever do to your child! God bless! Let your child decide after 18. You parents have no right to decide their citizenship. I will never do this to my kids bcoz of the NRI fees. Shame on you guys just for the fees you will ruin your child's future. I am US born and lived my whole childhood life in India till 10+2. Keep my advice don't renouciation your child citizenship.

Comment

I'm not Indian, so I don't get what the big deal is. Why can't y'all just get the kid an Indian passport. Treat the kid like he's Indian. Whenever in his life he wants the privileges of US citizenship, he can just go apply for a US passport. It's not like anyone is going to ask him to formally/officially renounce his US citizenship in order to get an Indian passport

Comment

Hi

Yes, Government schools in India are not good compared to private schools.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X