Haiti VISA to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiti VISA to US

I am trying to find information regarding a VISA for my Sponsor Son in Haiti. I have met and sponsored this young man (17 years old) for the last 9 years. He is an orphan; has one living brother. My Sponsor Son lives in Port Au Prince with a family who allows him to live in their home. We send a small amount of money monthly to help feed him. Last September he (we) applied for a VISA so he could come to visit our family in U.S. The U.S. Embassy denied his VISA due to him not having money in the bank, family, or land in his name. He is an ORPHAN, he will never have these things! There is no work in Haiti, therefore he will never be able to have money or land. We were told that we cannot apply again for one year. Other than adoption, which we can't afford, is there any other avenue that you know of? Is there any organization that could help us? I contacted my Senator, but they basically told me that there is nothing they can do.

Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the nation and being an orphan on top of that doesn't help the situation. I can understand their reasoning for the denial, but it isn't like he's from a country that has good ecomomics.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

being denied under 214(b) is the most common of all reasons, meaning the alien failed to show enough strong ties to home country. I understand why it would be very hard for him to show those economic, emotional, etc ties.

But that being said, this young man is an immigrant risk, if he receives a visa, there is nothing holding him back from going back to Haiti, that makes it very very hard.

Maybe you could get him into an university in the USA? that would be another way to go, research on the F-1 visa.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. He is in his Senior year now, but according to some, a senior there, is equivalent to 8th grade here. If that's true, he'd have a hard time getting into a University. He does speak and write English fairly well, but it was self taught and needs a little cleaning up. I do think he'd flourish here and eventually be able to attend college, but he'd most definitely need some help before that became a reality.

As I said, I understand their reasoning for the denial, but considering his situation it doesn't seem fair. The Haitian government does nothing to help him. If my husband and I didn't send money to feed and house him, he'd be a rat on the streets begging for a crumb. It makes me sad to think neither government cares enough about "the individual" to do the right thing. I know, rules are rules and they're there for a reason, but I don't have to like them.

Again, thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Comment

Look into Humanitarian Parole, other than that, do some research with a local college international students office... to check on that senior vs 8th grade thing...
        Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Thank you, I've never heard of Humanitarian Parole. I'll do some research. I do have several contacts at our local college, so I'll contact them tomorrow too.

I really do appreciate your help. It gives me hope in a bleak situation.

Pam

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X