Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting married while having student visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting married while having student visa?

1) If I go to US on a student visa to study but do get engaged to a US citizen during my studies and get married, would I have to return back to my country?

2) Can I just change status and remain in US with my wife during my studies?

3) if the school accepts me, how long does it take to process student visa?

If you fall in love and marry someone it's nothing or noone who can stop you!
    It doesn't matter what kind of visa you have.Even people who get out of status do get married! Of course my advice to you is to keep your status and marry before your visa expires!U can ask for help from a lawyer or you can prepare the papers yourself ( I mean you and your spouse).
    But while student make sure you gather a lot of evidence that you know this person well just to prove your marriage is not ****.
    And I guess you'd better not say anything about your future intentions to the person who interviews you for the F1 visa. Enter the US strictly as a student! Afterwards God help you!

Comment

You can not, however, enter the USA with a non-immigrant visa (such as an F1 student visa) with the intention to get married and file for your green card. That would be fraud.

If you already know this person and have intentions of marrying him/her. Then you need to file for a K1 visa.
      Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Yes, Praetorian XI is correct stating it would be a fraud entering the US on a nonimmigrant visa with the intention to marry someone.

But the thing is applying for and obtaining a K1 visa is a timeconsuming process.I think you could get your F1 much faster! Check the K1 forum and I'm pretty sure you will find out K1 applicants have a lot of complications.Once you get your I-20 form it's just a matter of time for your interview and F1 visa.

BUT!!! BUT if you choose the F1 path to USA you have to prove your intentions to enter the US ONLY as a student!!! And confirm them after you arrive by visiting your college and taking good care of your results! And then you can marry and adjust to a permenant residence status. Keep in mind you should conceal you had any intentions for marriage before you arrived in the US as this would jeopardize your efforts to get a green card and will result in even losing your student status.
        So it will be your choice.My advice is to apply for a F1 visa and study! You will need education in the US anyways!Then meet your fiance and make up your mind later! Listen, you may be positive now that you're gonna get married but you never know till you meet the person and check things yourself, right? Life has its twists and turns! Whatever happens don't give up on your education!
        Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by johngrnmn
          Yes, Praetorian XI is correct stating it would be a fraud entering the US on a nonimmigrant visa with the intention to marry someone.

But the thing is applying for and obtaining a K1 visa is a timeconsuming process.I think you could get your F1 much faster! Check the K1 forum and I'm pretty sure you will find out K1 applicants have a lot of complications.Once you get your I-20 form it's just a matter of time for your interview and F1 visa.

BUT!!! BUT if you choose the F1 path to USA you have to prove your intentions to enter the US ONLY as a student!!! And confirm them after you arrive by visiting your college and taking good care of your results! And then you can marry and adjust to a permenant residence status. Keep in mind you should conceal you had any intentions for marriage before you arrived in the US as this would jeopardize your efforts to get a green card and will result in even losing your student status.
          So it will be your choice.My advice is to apply for a F1 visa and study! You will need education in the US anyways!Then meet your fiance and make up your mind later! Listen, you may be positive now that you're gonna get married but you never know till you meet the person and check things yourself, right? Life has its twists and turns! Whatever happens don't give up on your education!
          Good luck!
          Concealing information from USCIS is also fraud.
          Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X