Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCI Eligibility for USA born child

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for your inputs. This is really helpful.

1. paran96281 - you mentioned in your last comment that OCI is preferred when compared to PIO card. I checked in some places and found that overseas born children are NOT ELIGIBLE for OCI.. Isn't this true?

2. Next doubt: I understand that USA Passport + OCI/PIO will give the child an NRI equivalent status. Does this mean that in schools/colleges, we will end up paying NRI fees (usually extremely high) and will the child not be eligible for General Merit seats?

Thanks and looking forward for an answer.

Safuvan

Comment

How to get indian passport

We are expecting a baby on April 6,2012. Me and my wife are in USA on J- visa. We want to apply for Indian passport for our baby. The thing not clear to me is, weather we have to apply twice to Indian embassy, Washington, once for registering the birth of baby and then after getting done with this, we have to apply again for passport for the baby. Or we can send all details once. I will request you to suggest me how to get the Indian passport.

Comment

if l2 visa holders get pregnant in USA...then status of baby

Hi Guys,

I am new this forum...this forum has helped me a lot in my visa interview. My query

1. If L2 visa holders get pregnant in USA will they get insurance for there delivery.
        2.What will be the status of the baby...i mean will he be the US citizen or an Indian citizen.

please i need to know this information and if anybody knows please help me.

Regards
        YYYY

Comment

Obtained Birth Registration Certificate without applying for Indian passport

Hi folks,

There was a question raised about obtaining Indian Birth Registration Certificate separately when you don't apply for Indian passport for the US born child. After digging into this, we found that Indian consulates around the world have different rules and regulations on this subject. The Indian Consulate of Houston allows you to have a birth registration certificate. You would require to submit the following documents:

a) Notorized photocopy of child's birth certificate
          b) Notorized photocopy of first three and last three pages of parents passport
          c) Application for Misc Services (Fill section I and II only). Both mom and dad signed the form in section I in behalf of the applicant (our 10 months child). Attach a 2*2 photograph of the child to the form.

d) Proof of Indian parents legal stay in US (notorized photocopy of green cards/H1B visa/Green I-94
          e) Notorized photocopy of dad or mom's driver license as Residence proof
          f) $40 fees for birth registration certificate + expedite return package
          g) written declaration form that the child has not obtained any other passport or applied for any other nationality. Letter has to be notarized. Both parents signed in our case

We got the birth registration certificate back in 1 week. I was little disappointed to see the letter as it appeared to be a print out without any seal from Indian consulate. It did have the signature and a serial number. I was expecting something more formal. But yes, getting Indian birth registration certificate (without applying for Indian Passport) is possible at Houston Consulate.

Please note that the child should be less than 11 months (actual requirement is 12 months, but the consulate prefers to receive the application before the child completes 11th month)

Whether this certificate is going to be of any value for my child, I don't know today. But it will surely not do any harm.

Hope this helps to clarify a few things

Comment

Can a PIO holder minor apply for Indian citizenship before he turns 18

Friends,
            As the information collected from the forum here,one need to choose either Indian passport or US passport for the baby born in USA.
            My quesiton is if one choose to take US passport for the baby & move to India by applying the PIO card for the baby,is there a way where Parents can apply for Indian citizenship for the baby before he truns 18.

Regards
            Vikas

Comment

OCI card

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and writing for the first time..

We have been blessed with a baby boy in the US.

My question is if both the parents have Indian passport and the baby is born in the US can we apply for the OCI for my son or we will have to apply for a PIO card only.

Thanks in advance
              Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Harry.walia View Post
                Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and writing for the first time..

We have been blessed with a baby boy in the US.

My question is if both the parents have Indian passport and the baby is born in the US can we apply for the OCI for my son or we will have to apply for a PIO card only.

Thanks in advance
                Harry

If you and your spouse are holding an Indian Passport, then you will only be eligible to apply PIO Card for your baby.

Thanks
                Sri

Comment

Originally posted by paran96281 View Post
                  Congrats on the new arrival. To answer your questions:

FIRST SET OF QUESTIONS
                  1) You cannot get an Indian passport for your son as he is an Indian citizen. Get the US passport. It can be received in as less as 14 days with expedited processing.
                  2) N/A, as he can't get an Indian passport
                  3) "Permanent Address" is not a big issue. Write the same address as in on his birth certificate (or your current address if you have moved since he arrived)

2ND SET OF QUESTIONS
                  Note - Before going to India, it would be best if you get US passport and OCI (as against PIO card) for your son. PIO expires in 10 years, while OCI is lifelong. OCI takes 6-7 weeks, which is not much longer a wait than that for a PIO
                  1) If he becomes an OCI, he may be ultimately able to get Indian citizenship after explicitly renouncing his US citizenship. This needn't be done in a hurry though. The procedure can be found on immihelp if you look closely - otherwise simply call the Indian Consulate and pose them this question.
                  2) Yes, he will be able to serve in the Indian armed forces
                  3) For US visa, no special consideration should be expected as he will have given up US citizenship - he will have to endure the same process as others to get a US visa.

3RD SET OF QUESTIONS:
                  1) If he is a US Citizen with a PIO card, the latter will expire in 10 years. (As against this, if on OCI, he won't have to lift a finger)
                  2) OCIs can have any number of bank or investment accounts in India.
                  3) Yes, you can buy land/property in his name, as long as the land is non-agricultural.

In summary, no need to be confused. In my opinion, US Passport + OCI would be the best option. That way he can derive all benefits of being a US citizen, and for practical purposes will be able to live in India like an Indian because of the OCI status. [ As long one is OK to (a) not own a India passport (b) not own agricultural land in India (c) not run for govt jobs/positions in India and (d) not vote in elections. ]

Good luck.
                  Very good and detailed info. Thanks for this! I too have a US born son and have been pondering over these questions for some time. My family in India owns agricultural land and sometime in the future this would be passed on to my son. My understanding is that my son (or any US citizen) cannot buy, but can inherit agricultural property in India. Please correct me if I am wrong as this will be an important consideration to decide whether to renounce US citizenship or not.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VT_Traveller View Post
                    Very good and detailed info. Thanks for this! I too have a US born son and have been pondering over these questions for some time. My family in India owns agricultural land and sometime in the future this would be passed on to my son. My understanding is that my son (or any US citizen) cannot buy, but can inherit agricultural property in India. Please correct me if I am wrong as this will be an important consideration to decide whether to renounce US citizenship or not.

Thanks in advance!!!
                    Get him an Indian passport

Comment

thumb impression upload

Hello everyone, does anyone know if the thumb fingerprint impressions for minors (OCI upload) needs to be up or sideways orientation? Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X