Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking LCD TV to India

Hi,

My parents are visiting us in the US right now. They want to take a 30 inch LCD TV back to India in May.

Any idea about how to do this?

I mean ...

1. How much extra the airlines would charge?
    2. How much would the customs be?
    3. Will there be insurance provided by the airlines?
    4. Any other issues or problems you might be aware of? (I know the TV needs to be multi format capable NTSC/PAL)
    5. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards

Talk about technical stuff ...

... a standard United States LCD TV will have only NTSC for color, so it will not work as a regular TV or Television in India which conforms to PAL standards.

If you're planning to use this "TV" as a computer monitor, then you can consider taking it to India.

Also, remember Indian power voltage is 240 volts while the United States has 115 volts. So, again unless your TV has dual power or international switchable power inputs, you will need a good expensive transformer to convert the power appropriately.

Airlines will not charge anything additional, other than what they charge for an extra box/package as shipped with your baggage.

You will have to tackle Indian customs on your own and if you have the knack and know how to deal with them, you can get away easily, else, you pay through your nose.

You get good LCD TVs in India which will work with Indian PAL standard and 240 volts and you'll get local warranty as well as support too.

I would suggest you buy a good bigger 42" or 46" or 50" TV in Indian only and have it installed by a local store.

Good luck.

Comment

1. Depends on dimensions of the box. If oversized, oversize rates will apply. Otherwise, it will be considered as one piece of baggage. The airline website should tell you what their charges are.
      2. http://www.immihelp.com/nri/india/tr.../dutyfree.html
      3. No. They just cover if it is lost and not if it is broken.
      4. N/A
      5. If that was a personal question, I would not do it.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I completely agree. They should purchase such LCD TV in India. There is no point in buying in US and taking it to India. Simply too many hassles.

Same goes true for most other electronic devices such as cell phone. For cell phone, have to have unocked phone, different power adaptor and so much other stuff. Just not worth it.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

and you get cheaper and way cooler phones in India.

Comment

LCD TV for India

Hi,

It depends on the Size, if its 40 or 42 inches it can be a checked baggage with airlines. Mostly its under 47 lbs.
            Voltage - 100 - 240v there are couple of models available in bestbuy/Amazon / Fry's were you can get a 42" LCD - LG for about $700 - $800. PAL / NTSC - Unless you watch basic Dordhasan Channel which will be in PAL don't worry about that. cause Most of the TV's and Bluray Players are multi Region (NTSC/ATSC/PAL/QAM) which will work.

With all the new satellite Channels available now in India It will have a convertor for multi region signals.

Hope this helped

Sendil K

Comment

Sendil I have looked through all the LG tv's being sold by frys don't see any that show Pal compatible?

Comment

I wonder which LCD/Plasma TV 42" or above is under 50 lbs with the box on? The box size would definitely exceed the airline check in total length requirements. Don't forget. Customs is based on the value of the item as per their list. If you buy a TV on sale for $500 and the cost of the item is RS 50,000, the tax will be based on the 50,000 Rs.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Blu-Ray Player and LCD for India

Originally posted by ameryki View Post
                  Sendil I have looked through all the LG tv's being sold by frys don't see any that show Pal compatible?
                  When You use a SET-UP Box (Reliance Big TV / SUN Direct / Airtel) you don't have to worry about PAL / NTSC cause they all relay DIGITAL Signal.
                  except Coaxial cable every other cable will work (Red-Yellow-White / S-Video / HDMI / Optical). If you are looking for a BLU-Ray player with built in 100-240v check out Visio-VBR110 available @ Target or online for $180+

Hope this was helpful.

Sendil K

Comment

LG LCD TV's under 50lbs. for India 100-240v

[QUOTE=txh1b;181770]I wonder which LCD/Plasma TV 42" or above is under 50 lbs with the box on? The box size would definitely exceed the airline check in total length requirements. Don't forget. Customs is based on the value of the item as per their list. If you buy a TV on sale for $500 and the cost of the item is RS 50,000, the tax will be based on the 50,000 Rs.[/QUOTE

Check @ Fry's Electronic there are couple of 42" LG's- (100-240v) and Samsung(110v only) available which is less then 50 lbs which include the box. or check any make/model details specifications it will give its dimensions and weight of the box as well.

Sendil K

Comment

LG LCD TV under 50 lbs with 100 - 240v for $ 749

Originally posted by ameryki View Post

Hope this helped

Comment

LCD TV 42" in Under 50 lbs - LG with 100-240v

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
                        I wonder which LCD/Plasma TV 42" or above is under 50 lbs with the box on? The box size would definitely exceed the airline check in total length requirements. Don't forget. Customs is based on the value of the item as per their list. If you buy a TV on sale for $500 and the cost of the item is RS 50,000, the tax will be based on the 50,000 Rs.

Comment

Taking a US TV to INdia

I took a Samsung LED TV to India as recently as December 2010 and let me tell you it made financial sense to me.
                          Good: Cost of Samsung LED 46" - $1050 + $140 for Booking it as a Luggage in Emirates = $1190 + Under Table at airport $25 = $1215 (about 51,000 INR)

Bad: You need a converter in India. US TVs work on NTSC signal mode while Asian TVs work on PAL signal mode. So in most cases (unless you TV has both NTSC & PAL Mode - which you can find out by going into the Menu Mode or reading the manual) you will have to buy a Signal Converter which are available from $25 to $150 on numerous web sites like Amazon, e Bay etc.. (remember more money is no assurance of a great product - so a 40$ deal should be good enough).

So finally your cost works out to around $1250 (about 57000 INR) which I thought is a great deal (considering the Indian price of 85000 for the same model). The things that get irritating are 1. you might have a few wires visible around your TV (if you dont conceal them properly) and 2. You need a cable TV guy / TV Mechanic in India to plug in your wires correctly (if you are not a techy).

Though you dont get HD Signals in India (only a few channels are HD there) you still can walk away with the high feeling of having an LED TV for a great price. The same is valid for LCD TVs also.

Always remember to change the original packing of the TV and move it into a similar box available in UHaul for 4 or 5 bucks (Cut the thermocol if required). This will help you in transporting (Less cost) and avoid the prying eyes of customs officers... say its a used tv.

Hope this was helpful... reach me on [email protected] for more help.

Comment

I am thinking of doing the same. I did a search in the net for some information and i was amazed by the amount of redundant and trivial information rather than some useful information.

Trivial = 220v, multi system
                            Useful info = very rare .

I see that someone here has done it at a good price point. I am seeing that good TV's like Sharp Quattron 40 inch(sharp makes the finest LCD's btw) are priced at Rs 1,20,000 in India. Thats almost US $2700.00

Do all airlines charge the same fees based on volume and weight or does it differ? Do customs people in india really go by the book when they see a TV or do they haggle and let you pass for a *fee*?

And for those worried about 220v or Pal/NTSC confusion a site here in the US sells multi system TV's.

Last edited by krravi; 04-20-2011, 03:02 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

hello, if any one can help me out...........
                              i wish to bring an 50 inch plasma to india from uk by air india can any one tell me how much will i be charged to bring it as a special luggage?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X