Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian passport expiration and travel from US to India and re-entry to US

Please clarlfy on my below question.

1. My wife and son has a Indian Passport which is expiring in August-08 and Dec-08 respectively and they are US permanent resident(Green Card holders).

2. They are traveling to India on the 26th of May-08 and will be re-entering US on the 17th July-08.

3. Is there going to be any issues when they enter India, leave India and when re-entering US on the 17th July-08 since their Indian passport validity date is August-08 and December-08 respectively.

4. Is there any minimum passport validity days requirement when they re-enter USA?

Thanks in advance for your help in this regard.
    Last edited by SBALASM; 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM.

There is no minimum passport validity to travel. It has to be unexpired and valid. As they are GC holders, they will not face I-94 expiration issues anyway.

Nothing to worry about.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      There is no minimum passport validity to travel. It has to be unexpired and valid. As they are GC holders, they will not face I-94 expiration issues anyway.

Nothing to worry about.
      Thanks txh1b!!!

So, just to clarify, when they re-enter into USA in July-08 there won't be any issues since they will have only few months of validity on their Indian passport, right?

Just wanted to clarify, thats all!!!

Comment

Should not be a problem at all. Passport validity of min of 6 months is only for visa stamping, not for travel.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
          Should not be a problem at all. Passport validity of min of 6 months is only for visa stamping, not for travel.
          But this one says 6 month validity is required.. Can someone please share their thoughts/experience?

Comment

Well, personal experience from a buddy of mine. He entered 2 months before the passport expired and while his renewal PP was pending in India. He was wanting to postpone his journey etc and I told him it was fine to travel. He did without any issues.

Again, talk to the officials and this person talks about a phone call to the Indian Embassy. Has anyone ever had luck with someone picking up the phone at the Indian embassy? Till date, it has never happened for me. May be it is just me that they choose to ignore.

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick response.

My last visit to India was a very bad experience for me, as I lost my passport/visas etc during my wedding. So, I want to make sure this time I do NOT have any such unpleasant situations. Thanks for clarifying that your friend travelled to India and returned without any problem.

BTW. I posted the question in the taboo forum too and waiting for a response.

Thanks and Regards,

Saradhi Cheruvu

Comment

It looks like that, as my question still is NOT shown there.

Just to confirm, I can travel to India and return without any problem, though my passport expiry date is 28-SEP-08. Right? (your response gives me piece of mind)

Thanks and Regards,

Saradhi Cheruvu

Comment

Getting Pankcied

Here is the reply I got from A Pandey in Indian Embassy, Washington DC.

"
                  Yes you still need 6 month validity to perform the journey even if you are India Citizen.

George".

Not sure what to do. No one picks up the phone in Embassy.

Comment

Go with the official answer from the authorities.

On a side note,

Exact same thing happened to the friend that I talked about. He went to India and the travel agent scared him that he will not be allowed to travel. So he applied for renewal using tatkal or whatever the fast processing scheme was. He waited and the PP did not arrive before his travel date and they had given him his old PP back (no cancelled stamp or anything which ofcourse surprised me). They had a stamp saying applied for renewal on the old PP.

He travelled back to US on the old PP fine without any problems. May be he just got lucky.

From the govt website of UK.
                    =====================

Why do I need a specified validity period remaining on my passport to travel to certain countries?
                    Some overseas countries have an immigration requirement for a passport to remain valid for a minimum period after entry to that country. Holding a British passport does not exempt the holder from complying with these requirements. If your passport is in its final year of validity, you are advised to check the requirements of your destination country before you make your final travel plans. Any questions should be addressed to their consulate or embassy.

As far I know, US requires a valid passport and no specific duration. You can check with CBP by calling the local international airport.
                    Last edited by txh1b; 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I went to the Airports Authority of India, Chennai Airport web site and Bureau of Immigration, India web site. Both say the following. They did NOT mention anything about 6 month validity.

"Even for re-entry into the country, an Indian national is required to be in possession of a valid Indian passport or travel document issued by Govt. of India".

Comment

Some CBP officers issue I-94 onlt till DOE of passport instead of the petition. This might require one to file an extension of go to the border countries and return again to get a new I-94.

You need to be aware of this.

Comment

Luckly for us, we went thru the bumpy road of getting the GCs in hand.

Comment

Good for you. Enjoy your visit!

Comment

Was the travel wihout an issue?

Hi,

I would like to ask the original post owner to share his experince as I am going through the same cycle right now

Thanks in advance
                              dsh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X