Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minor passport in India when Parent is in abroad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    Can anyone assist here,
    I am having original birth certificate of my kid in reginol language(non english), do I need to get that notarized presenting before consulate along with other documents.
    Also do I need to notarized Affedavit form?

Please assist me as I would be traveling long way only for this.

Regards,
    Nitin

Comment

MInor passport for Kid in India when his dad is in abroad

Originally posted by vgen1 View Post
      Thanks guys.

Sent the letter and passport to Indian embassy, just waiting for them to respond.
      Hello Friend,

I am in process of applying minor passport for my kid in India, I'm in US and my wife in India ( she has Indian passport). The officials in Indian PP office requested some more documents like letter which is countersigned by the authorized officer in the Indian Mission abroad. can you please advise me how can I get the sign from Indian mission abroad. please help me.

regards
      Ram

Comment

Hi n

I am also having the same issue, I am a single parent and I am in USA and my daughter is in India and I would want to the process and the paper work needed to submit to the consulate.

Any reply would be a great help.

Thanks,
        Kiran

Comment

Applying passport to kid when parent in Abroad

Hi all,

There are been lots of confusions around the process, when you are in US and you need to apply a passport for your kid in India.

Following is the process. You need to send a letter (asking for No objection for a guardian or for your wife to apply a passport to your Kid in India) and get attested by THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA, NEWYORK. Either you can go directly with your passport with the below documents and get attested or You need to get notarized (Any banks can notarize a letter for you) and send your passport to consulate.

1. Application form for Miscellaneous Services (/nri/)
          2. Affidavit to be filled (in duplicate). You have to get notarized after filling, and any bank would do notarization for you.
          3. Original passport along with photocopy of first 3 pages and last 2 pages of passport along with visa copy (No need to worry about sending the original passport, I applied and got it back safe)
          4. Copy of proof of residence in the US such as Utility Bill/Telephone Bill, Driver's License copy, State ID etc.)
          5. Processing Fee $13.00 (Money order or Certified check in the name of Consulate General of India, New York. Cash is acceptable at the counter)
          6. If sending by post/mail, $20 for priority return mail (again in the name of Consulate General of India, New York.)

Do not include any prepaid envelopes for your return mail. Just send $20 as mentioned in step 6, you will get your documents / passport safe.

Usually it would take 1 week of time for the document to get attested and getting the documents in hand. You will receive a mail with your passport / Affidavit mentioned in step 2 sealed by consulate.

I had applied last week and got it today with out any issues.

If you need any more clarifications, just send out an email to [email protected], you will get good response back.

Good luck....
          Attached Files

Comment

Affidavit from San Francisco Consulate

Hi, I had visited San Francisco consulate to get affidavit for my son's passport on 18tt Oct 2013. I am living in US, Utah, Salt Lake City, while my husband and son are in India. Hence I wanted affidavit for my son’s passport. Here is very simple process for San Francisco Consulate (I am not sure of other consulates). No need to take any online appointment for the same.

Docs required when you go in person:

1. Original passport with I-94 ( preferably with I-94, or I-797) – I didn’t have valid I-94 or Visa as both are expired on 30-Sep-2013, but I did carry the visa extension receipt, printout.
            2. One notarized affidavit signed by you and a photocopy.
            3. Address proof – I didn’t have the address proof as I was staying in hotel, but I did provided Hotel bills  and they hv accepted them

Thats it, you dont need of any other docs Why I am saying this is, before I am going to NY consulate I was skeptic what all docs should I carry? Especially as I didn’t have address proof, valid I-94 etc.

Fee: USD 23 only (+ $3 if u use debit card, credit card, cash are not accepted, only Demand draft and debit cards accepted) + $10 for Notarization of Affidavit.

When and how should you go:

1. Go early in the morning. The reason is applications are accepted till 12 PM. After that no applications are accepted. I went @ 11:45 almost, but was lucky to have it done.
            2. Enter your details at right window, go inside and stand in the queue (window 3, depends).
            3. Show the docs to the officer and pay USD23, I used debit card so paid $26.
            4. They keep the passport and 2 copies of the affidavit with them and you will be given a receipt for 23 USD and a receipt to collect the passport.
            5. They will ask you show up in the evening between 4 to 4:30PM or so.
            6. Go in the evening to collect Asst Consular signed affidavit and your passport. I was bit late I reached there by 4:32 PM but timing was till 4:45 PM and I got it 

Thats all, go back to home with smiling face and guessing your baby soon in US. As simple as that 

Preeti Jadhav
            801-300-9578 (Call me if you need anything as I have done it recently)

Comment

Afflidit from NY Consulate 31st dec 2013

Hi all,

Hi, I had visited Consulate general of india in New York city today to get affidavit. I wanted to update my findings, my research to get this affilidit, so that this would be helpful for the other parent visiting this site again.

First this in terms of documents required(same as mentioned below)

1. Original passport.
              2. Two affidavit signed by you, if you are going in person then no need for notarized, else you may need to do so(for mail).
              3. Application form, Fill up your details, paste a photo and select the option 7(attestation for child photo).

This all is pretty much enough for you to get the sign. The officer today didnt ask me anything else., But i had also taken the below documents with me just to not take any chance.

1. I had no address proof, as i am still staying in Hotel, I took all the bills paid in hotel so far. IN ADDITION, make a address proof document from your company and take a copy of this too. You dont want to given them any oppurtunity for them to send you back.

2. Govt ID Proof, sincerely i dont have any proof in US. I took my India driving license (didnt had original in hand, but the officer didnt ask , so its ok)

3. I94 or i797 copies. They will easily pull from their system but still they would love to ask this question to you.

4. You company deputation letter, When i called the india consulate office the day before and explained i m staying in hotel, she asked me to carry this too.(officer didnt ask though)

That is it.

Went morning 9 am , waiting for 15 mins for my token number, Submit document. Paid fees 10$ + 3$(some welfare fee) = 13$ total.
              asked me to come between 12 30 and 1 pm.

Went and collected it, the process is so simple if you read this blogs and be prepared your self. Now i have to send this original document to india as international post.

So happy happy evening .. going to see my baby soon ....

Additional information: as most the other folks i met, most of them didnt had car and stay a far from NY. I never thought i wil be able to make it in person until i found there is a bus service called GREYHOUND. They pretty much operate in most of the areas. So do google for your bus availability. (Bolt Bus is one another option).

Happy now and good luck to you. Do reply to this post if you have any query , i will pretty much try help with whatever the information i Have...

-Siva

Comment

Few more questions

Hi Guys
                This is an awesome thread clarifying a lot of questions I had in my for getting an Affidavit and sending it to India for applying passport for my kid:
                I have few more questions and may be some of you who have applied previously could suggest, please :

Getting the affidavit:
                1) I am going to mail my application form for affidavit request. Along with notarization of the affidavit pages, do I need to get the passport, visa, address proof copies notarized?
                Is it really required for these copies also be notarized( I am sending to Washington DC embassy)?

2) Some of the post mentioned that I need to get a scanned notarized-copy of my kid's Birth certifcate & should be sent along with application. Is this really required since not everyone mention that.

After getting the affidavit:

1) When I was reading the FAQ for indiangov for next steps, they answer a FAQ as follows:

"Q11: Who can apply for my minor daughter's passport in India as I am on ship at Singapore as second engineer?
                A: Either parent/guardian can apply for minor's passport. You would however need to get Annexure H duly attested by the Consular section of the nearest Indian Mission. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on "Documents Required" link on Home page"

This answer confuses since no where in this thread I have seen suggestions to get Annexure H attested by Embassy. Can anyone clarify whether Annexure H signed and attested by Embassy required for you guys for processing your kids passport in India?

2) They also mention that atleast, one of the parents , if they possess passport should have their spouse name endorsed.
                I have my wife's name endorsed in my passport but since she will be the one applying for kid's passport in India showing her passport(and that she doesn't have my name endorsed in her passport), do I need to get my passport pages also attested and sent to India?

Kindly clarify from your experience. This will be helpful
                Last edited by karthikeyankomar; 03-08-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Please help me

Hi Iqbal,
                  I am in a same situation like yours my 5 years old daughter is in India with my parents and we both( mother &father) are in California. Planning to get my daughter here and my parents need to apply for her passport in India. The affidavit format given on SFO embassy website is only for one parent who is in USA but we both parents are in USA and my parents in indis are applying for my daughters passport. Can you please share the affidavit format which we can use for both parents in USA and her grandparents applying for her passport in out behalf in India. Planning to hi town assay in Tuesday. You help will be appreciated.

Originally posted by ramaniqbal View Post
                  Hello Guys..
                  I'm also in same boat as you guys are. This thread gave me lot's of information.

I have to get sworn affidavit form embassy for applying passport for my daughter in India ; and when reading the steps in web page of embassy in SF, they have not mentioned nothing.

My daughter is in india with my parents, and we both mother and father living in usa. We are bringing her here next year and i need to apply her passport asap.

As we are here,

1. can we apply passport by mail ?
                  2. For sworn affidavit what we need, can any body post the affidavit if both parents are abroad.
                  3. Do we need to get Power Of Attorney also and
                  send that to india for applying the passport (if my parent apply the passport)
                  if yes can anyone please post the text for the "Power Of Attorney"

Please help

Comment

Have you taken baby birth certificate or birth certificate copy to embassy ? .

Originally posted by venudhar View Post
                    Hi, I had visited NY consulate to get affidavit for my daughter's passport on 21st Mar 2012. I am living in US , while my wife and daughter are in India. Hence I decided to take affidavit for my daughter. Here is very simple process for NY Consulate ( I am not sure of other consulates)

Docs required when you go in person:

1. Original passport with I-94 ( preferrably with I-94)
                    2. Two copies of the affidavit signed by you. Here in the application downloaded from NY consulate website, you find both father and mother name to sign. But you sign as applicable (father/mother) and leave the other one blank. May be mother has to sign while applying for passport in India in front of the passport officer ( but I am not sure)

Thats it, you dont need of any other docs like address proof, identity proof ...nothing. Why I am saying this is, before I am going to NY consulate I was skeptic what all docs should I carry? Especially I was staying with my friends, so I did not have any address proof

Fee: USD 10 only

When and how should you go:

1. Go early in the morning. The reason is applications are accepted till 12: 15PM or so. After that no applications are accepted.
                    2.Better to be by 8:30AM, you may find some queue by then !
                    3. You will be given a serial number at the entrance
                    4. wait in the down stairs ( left hand side) till your number is called upon in electronic display
                    5. show the docs to the officer and pay USD10
                    6. They keep the passport and 2 copies of the affidavit with them and you will be given a receipt for 10 USD
                    7. They will ask you show up in the evening 4:30PM or so, as per the crowd
                    8. Go in the evening to collect Asst Consular signed affidavit and your passport

Thats all, go back to home with smiling face and guessing your baby soon in US.

Comment

Need details on Affidavit when both parents are abroad

Originally posted by tunnu View Post
                      Hi Iqbal,
                      I am in a same situation like yours my 5 years old daughter is in India with my parents and we both( mother &father) are in California. Planning to get my daughter here and my parents need to apply for her passport in India. The affidavit format given on SFO embassy website is only for one parent who is in USA but we both parents are in USA and my parents in indis are applying for my daughters passport. Can you please share the affidavit format which we can use for both parents in USA and her grandparents applying for her passport in out behalf in India. Planning to hi town assay in Tuesday. You help will be appreciated.
                      Hi ,

Could you please share the details of the affidavit for applying child passport in India when both parents are in US? Do we need to fill 2 separate affidavits(one for each parent) and get it notorized? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
                      Thank you!

Comment

How to get sworn affidavit from USA for my son in India?

Hi Vipul kindly help me

I am currently in US (Oklahoma City) with H1B visa and my wife and son (1 year old) are in India. My wife is going to apply for a passport for my son in India for which they need a sworn affidavit from Indian embassy.

I saw the documents required from Indian embassy (http://www.cgihouston.org/page/display/53/19). I have some questions. Please help me. I will be sending the documents on mail to the embassy

1) .Completed "Misc. Services" application form with one passport size photo affixed in the box.

Please let me know which photo should be affixed (mine or my son’s photo?)

2 Original and copy of sworn affidavit duly notarized.

Please let me know from which location these documents should be notarized. From India or from US.
                        If it is from India a scanned copy will be sufficient or the original copy is required?

3 Copy of spouse passport & Copy of child's birth certificate with both the parents name on it.

Both this documents needs to be notarized? If yes then from India or from US?

4, after I send this documents Is there a way to track the progress. How do I know in case any further information is required by the consulate

Thanks,
                        Appu

Originally posted by vipulkgosai View Post
                        Hi All,

I got sworn affidavit in Jan-2010. Let me explain you what documents are required. This process is very simple, don't take much pain, because i gone through all pain.

This Documents, i used for Washington, DC:

1) child-indian-passport-affidavit-one-parent.pdf(Sworn Affidavit, attached)
                        2) APPLICATION FOR MISCELLANEOUS SERVICES (tick others option, and in first page fill applicant's details)
                        3) Online Application Form (for Washington, DC. If you are sending by mail then it is just for their records, if you are go in personal then it is considered as appointment)
                        4) Notarized Birth Certificate (if it is not in English)
                        5) Residence Proof(Lease, electricity bill etc.)
                        6) Fees (if you are sending by mail, then return mail charges.

Embassy will take 3 working weeks if you are sending in mail. if you are going in personal then it will be done in 1 day.

In case of any doubts, mail me on [email protected] or call me any time : 704 906 2675.

Regards,
                        Vipul

Comment

Passport

Originally posted by appub4u View Post
                          Hi Vipul kindly help me

I am currently in US (Oklahoma City) with H1B visa and my wife and son (1 year old) are in India. My wife is going to apply for a passport for my son in India for which they need a sworn affidavit from Indian embassy.

I saw the documents required from Indian embassy (http://www.cgihouston.org/page/display/53/19). I have some questions. Please help me. I will be sending the documents on mail to the embassy

1) .Completed "Misc. Services" application form with one passport size photo affixed in the box.

Please let me know which photo should be affixed (mine or my son’s photo?)

2 Original and copy of sworn affidavit duly notarized.

Please let me know from which location these documents should be notarized. From India or from US.
                          If it is from India a scanned copy will be sufficient or the original copy is required?

3 Copy of spouse passport & Copy of child's birth certificate with both the parents name on it.

Both this documents needs to be notarized? If yes then from India or from US?

4, after I send this documents Is there a way to track the progress. How do I know in case any further information is required by the consulate

Thanks,
                          Appu

Hi Appu,

I am in the same boat checking for passport procedure. I have the same questions which are raised by you... Did you get answers to your question.
                          I will be contacting consulate office for more details. If I get proper answers will update you.

Thanks,
                          Shekhar

Comment

Process at Indian consulate in San Francisco (SFO)

Hi,

I am posting my recent experience at the Indian consulate in San Francisco for 'Affidavit for Childs Passport to be issued in India' for the benefit of others. Kindly note that the steps outlined by me do not guarantee a smooth process for others. Please use my advice at your own risk.

Link to SFO consulate's instructions: http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/162/236

My scenario:
                            1) I am in the US on H1B whereas my wife and new-born baby are in India and my wife would be applying for our baby's passport in India.
                            2) I went in-person to the SFO consulate.

The consulate accepts applications till 12 p.m and I walked into the consulate at 11 a.m. I did not have to take an appointment in advance. The whole process took just around 5 - 10 minutes.

Original documents I carried with me:
                            1) Indian passport
                            2) Electricity bill (for proof of address)
                            3) Miscellaneous Services Form (with my photo pasted)
                            4) Affidavit form (this document needs to be notarized, as per the instructions. I notarized mine at Bank of America. I have an account with Bank of America; hence was not charged anything for the service. As an alternative, there are public notaries who would notarize for a small fee, generally $10 in SFO. I filled up most of the form at home, but did not sign it at home. Please note that the form has to be signed in the presence of the officer notarizing the document).

Copies of documents I carried with me:
                            1) Copy of first 5 pages and last 2 pages of my passport
                            2) Copy of H1B visa page on passport
                            3) Copy of I-94
                            4) Copy of notarized Affidavit form
                            5) Copy of electricity bill

Charges: $26 ( Breakup - $20 (non-refundable fee) + $3 (Indian Community Welfare Fee (ICWF) fee) + $3 (Debit card fee))

Upon payment, I was given a receipt for the same and only the original electricity bill was returned to me (the passport and all other documents mentioned above were retained by them).

The consulate stamped the notarized Affidavit form and returned it along with the original passport that same evening. The collection timings at SFO are from 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Regards,
                            Last edited by Guest567; 05-12-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest567 View Post
                              Hi,

I am posting my recent experience at the Indian consulate in San Francisco for 'Affidavit for Childs Passport to be issued in India' for the benefit of others. Kindly note that the steps outlined by me do not guarantee a smooth process for others. Please use my advice at your own risk.

Link to SFO consulate's instructions: http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/162/236

My scenario:
                              1) I am in the US on H1B whereas my wife and new-born baby are in India and my wife would be applying for our baby's passport in India.
                              2) I went in-person to the SFO consulate.

The consulate accepts applications till 12 p.m and I walked into the consulate at 11 a.m. I did not have to take an appointment in advance. The whole process took just around 5 - 10 minutes.

Original documents I carried with me:
                              1) Indian passport
                              2) Electricity bill (for proof of address)
                              3) Miscellaneous Services Form (with my photo pasted)
                              4) Affidavit form (this document needs to be notarized, as per the instructions. I notarized mine at Bank of America. I have an account with Bank of America; hence was not charged anything for the service. As an alternative, there are public notaries who would notarize for a small fee, generally $10 in SFO. I filled up most of the form at home, but did not sign it at home. Please note that the form has to be signed in the presence of the officer notarizing the document).

Copies of documents I carried with me:
                              1) Copy of first 5 pages and last 2 pages of my passport
                              2) Copy of H1B visa page on passport
                              3) Copy of I-94
                              4) Copy of notarized Affidavit form
                              5) Copy of electricity bill

Charges: $26 ( Breakup - $20 (non-refundable fee) + $3 (Indian Community Welfare Fee (ICWF) fee) + $3 (Debit card fee))

Upon payment, I was given a receipt for the same and only the original electricity bill was returned to me (the passport and all other documents mentioned above were retained by them).

The consulate stamped the notarized Affidavit form and returned it along with the original passport that same evening. The collection timings at SFO are from 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Regards,
                              Hi,

I am in the same situation and planning to go to Washington DC in person. Thank you for your message with details.

Thanks
                              GJ

Comment

We all are in same boat

Hello Guys,

I know we all are in same situation and my question is different.
                                My Son and wife was here in US till May 2015
                                Went to India and my Son's passport is expiring in Jan 2016, so we planned to get in it renewed in India. I got sworn affidavit from Houston based Indian consulate as I am in India
                                my son been living in US for last 3 years.
                                Now my question is while filling application for re-issuing passport in India, what we should answer to below mentioned question.
                                Is your present address out of India?
                                if YES then we need to give US address right?
                                if NO then we need to give India address mentioned in previous passport?

Thank you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X