Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 for private high school with 1-130 only approved for parent

Hi,

Here is my situation. I am a US citizen. In fall of 2007, I have submitted I-130 for my mother and separate I-130 for my 13 year old sister. First, I thought my sister would be able to ride on the same I-130 as my mother and come to US at the same time as my mother. INS told me that since I am a citizen, I have to file separate I-130 for my sister and my mother for them to come to US at the same time, but later I found out that my sister has to wait separately for a visa number to become available (about 10 years) even though she is a minor. I have withdrawn I-130 for my sister and now we are applying for a student visa for her to come to finish private high school here. My mother is not sure yet if she wants to proceed with her I-130. It has been approved by INS and sent to NVC, but my mother has not mailed back anything with her signature stating that she wants to proceed with the immigrant visa petition filed for her. I have a few questions:

1. Will my submission of I-130 petition for my sister and its later withdrawal affect my sister's chance of getting a student visa? We do plan on disclosing this fact on my sister’s nonimmigrant visa application.

2. Will the fact that I-130 has been approved for my mother (but she has not shown any intent to proceed with it yet) affect my sister's chance of getting a student visa? My mother will have to be present during a student visa interview since my sister is only 13, but I am not sure of how much they will question my mother. They just might talk to my sister only since she is an intending student. My mother owns real estate in her home country. Also she owns and operates a business there, so has good economic ties to her home country. My sister has 2 other siblings (half sisters, I am also a half sister but on mother's side). I have come to US on fiancée visa and have been married for 7 years to the same man who did the fiancée visa for me.

Please, any input is very much appreciated.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X