No announcement yet.

H4 to F1 - Change by Travel Abroad - Impact of Practical training eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 - Change by Travel Abroad - Impact of Practical training eligibility

My Wife studying master's at university taking full-time courses on H4 visa for Fall 2007 & Spring 2008. In May 2008, we went to Mexico to Change status from H4 to F1 (So F1 effective from Summer). In summer she is
    maintaining required hours to be full-time student. She is planning to apply for CPT from August 2008 (Fall Semester) but the school is denying saying that they wrongly advised her before and because she got F1 visa by
    traveling, somehow the full-time study she did on H4 does not count and she has to put in 9 more months of full-time study to be eligibe either for CPT/OPT. Is this accurate? They say that if she had applied for change of status by staying in USA, then she would have been fine. According to CPT/OPT eligibility rules per USCIS site, as long as a candidate has put in 9 consecutive months of full-time study in a valid non-immigrant
    status (H4 is valid) and is on F1 at the time of application and never been out of status is eligible for CPT/OPT. Please advise if anyone even heard of this. I researched web for days and yet to find anything on this. Interestingly school is yet to show any legal rule to substantiate their view point.

The school is right. The person should have been on F1 status for 9 months to be eligible for CPT AFAIK. H4 does not count.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the response. Actually, school does not contest or require that a person is on F1 for 9 months. The only problem they have is that change of status was outside the country. Also, please see the following eligibility clarification from USCIS site ...

"...Thus, an alien who attended school in lawful nonimmigrant status prior to changing status to F-1 is permitted to count the time spent on campus towards the nine-month in status requirement for practical training. This special provision is intended for lawful nonimmigrants, such as J-1 students or dependents of A,E,F,G,H,J,L, and N visa categories, who were enrolled as full-time students at an INS-approved school immediately before changing status to F-1. Aliens who are attending school in the United State s in violation of their status may not derive benefits from this provision. (TM 4/90) " (Vide : OI 214.2 (d) )

Comment

How the student changes the status is of little importance. It could be through COS or a visa.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X