How can L2 apply for work permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can L2 apply for work permit

I am now have L2 visa , as a dependent of my husband L1 . Now I am trying to apply a working permit .

1. How to apply ? Should I go to scis office or just apply online ? How long it usually take ?

2. Should I show my husband's L1 to scis office ? Will the Scis office inform my husband or his company to confirm anything ?

3. Does a L2 with a working permit can apply for a green card , if I work for US based employor ?

I am stupid for this , I search a lot in the forum , but did not find what I want . So I write above questions , hope somebody can help me .

Thanks a lot in advance !

L1 Queries

I am now have L2 visa , as a dependent of my husband L1 . Now I am trying to apply a working permit .

1. How to apply ? Should I go to scis office or just apply online ? How long it usually take ?

---- NO, here is no need to got to USCIS office. You can apply by downloadinga form. I am not sure which form. SEarch the USCIS website for the same. It takes 4-6 weeks for approval

2. Should I show my husband's L1 to scis office ? Will the Scis office inform my husband or his company to confirm anything ?

---- When you apply you have to provide a copy of your husband's L1 . Whether USCIS office will do any inquiry is upto them and their procedures

3. Does a L2 with a working permit can apply for a green card , if I work for US based employor ?

---- NO, You are on a dependent Visa amd only a principal Visa holder like L1 can apply for GC. However, any employer can apply for a GC independently without all or any Visa conditions, and that will take a long time

Subramanya

Comment

1. I765
      2. Yes, a copy with 765. Depends.
      3. No.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your reply .

For 3, Can't I apply for a green card if my husband don't apply ?

Can anybody help me for that ?

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
          3. No.

Why not?

I was going to reply yes.
          Check out H1 FAQs first!
          http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

I think the THx1b's answer NO is to the previous post , that means Yes ?

Comment

Originally posted by gzzilyicq
              Thanks for your reply .

For 3, Can't I apply for a green card if my husband don't apply ?

Can anybody help me for that ?
              You cannot apply for a green card. Any employer can intend to hire a person on a permanent basis and decide to sponsor on a permanent basis provided you qualify. You have to talk to HR about it. GC is for future employment.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

You cannot apply for a green card. Any employer can intend to hire a person on a permanent basis and decide to sponsor on a permanent basis provided you qualify. You have to talk to HR about it. GC is for future employment.

Thank you , TXH1B .

For my understadning ,I think you means my employer is not willing to help me to apply the green card because my L2 is depend on my husband L1 . If his L1 is expired , I can not work for my employor anymore .

I means , if emporyer has not problem (because he is my friend ) to help me to apply my green card . Is that legal for employor or me to apply for green card ?

Comment

Originally posted by gzzilyicq
                  Is that legal for employor or me to apply for green card ?
                  Yes. You seem to have gotten the rest of it.

Comment

Yes. You seem to have gotten the rest of it.
                    Thank you for your help to me . TXH1B , my husband L1 will expired after 3 years . for some company policy restrict , he can't apply for a green card .

So I will apply for mine , it is for for my son's education . So I will talk to a attorney and start from application for a working permit .

Comment

Also note that the L2 extensions are not possible past 5/7 years and if the GC PD is not current, then you have to return back.

Comment

Also note that the L2 extensions are not possible past 5/7 years and if the GC PD is not current, then you have to return back.

Do you means if my L2 is expired , it can NOT be extended ? If I have not get my green card before my L2 expired ? I will have to return back ?

What does "GC passport is not current " means ?

Comment

PD - Priority Date not passport.

You need to learn more about the entire GC procedure here.

Follow links from immihelp mai page and spend some time. That will make it clear than going back and forth on the forum.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X