Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI on a Student Visa F1

Hi All,

I am currently on Student Visa F1 (OPT) and have been approved for H1B. I havent got my stamping done yet. Unfortunately I had a DUI (first offense) and luckily it was right after i was backing up from the parking lot of a private property, my license would not be suspended.

I was arrested and my fingerprints were taken along with the mug shots. I was found guilty in the court. I have court supervision now with limited driving privilages. I wanted to know if when i go for my H1B stamping will it be a problem for me? Will it be a problem for me in the future when i file for my Green Card or Citizenship?

Yes, it is a problem. You need to have consulted an immigration attorney before pleading guilty or accepting the plea. This will however not make you inadmissible. It will only result in delays, referral to panel doctors for evaluation before visa stamping.
    Last edited by txh1b; 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Would a DUI or an Alcohol Evaluation serve the purpose of the doctor evaluation and when is the right time to take the evaluation. can i take it right now or have to wait like a month before Oct 1st or something for its validity.

Comment

The consulate where you attend for the stamping would refer you to a panel doctor in the home country. You cannot take anything before hand.

A court disposition letter is the only thing that you can be proactive about.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Student

What about if im still student and planing apply for the work visa?
          Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by jgasparony View Post
            What about if im still student and planing apply for the work visa?
            Thank You
            Please share what happened with you. I am in a similar situation.

Comment

Please share your experiences. i am also in similar situation

Hi diesel_deisel / anyhelpwilldo, Please share your experiences. i am also in similar situation

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X