Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 to L2: Change of Status.

Hi,

I came to the US on an L1 visa. My husband came with me on B1/B2. My stay will be extended and so I would like to apply for a change of status for my husband from his B1/B2 to L2.

1. Can we apply for this status change within the US?
    2. If so, what is the time limit within which I should apply?
    3. How do I apply for this status and where do I apply?
    4. What are the chances of approval?
    5. Once approved, is the status immediately valid or should he re-enter the US to enable it?

Thank you,
    Chitra.

Check the H1B, L1 section of this forum.

Comment

1. Yes
      2. Immediately after he is done with the purpose of B1/B2 visit before his I-94 expires.
      3. Check form I539 and also under L1/L2 section.
      4. No one can say. In general should not be an issue if the intent on arriving on B1/B2 was not to change status.
      5. Depends on the approval. If the COS is approved, it is valid and no travel is needed.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

B1/B2 to L2: Change of Status.

At the moment I am in the US because my Fiance is working here...he has an L1 Visa. I came into the country on a B2 visa...

We are going to get married here, in a small ceremony. I know can I change from B2 to L2 status... I would like to know How long is the process?...

thanks in advance. Priscila.

Comment

Spouse Visa - B2 to L2

Hello,

I am working in Los Angeles on deputation through my employer on an L1B visa since Oct 10, 2010.
          My wife arrived at the United States (LA) on a B2 - Visitor Visa on Dec 26, 2010. Her I-94 is valid upto Jun 26, 2011.
          Since my deputation was initially temporary, my wife arrived on a B2-Visitor Visa. But now, the duration of my assignment has increased by 2 more years and we would like to change her B2 status to L2.

I checked Form I-539, that would be used for Change of Status.
          Can you please advise us on what documents would be needed to support our request for Change of Status from B2 to L2 ?
          Are these documents to be sent via postal mail, if the I-539 is to be submitted online ?
          The details in I-539 mention that the USCIS authority would evaluate why the L2 was not applied initially. We have a valid reason. But, where do we state this reason ? Do we respond to them only if we are asked the question ?

We would be glad if you could respond soon.

Thanks,

Comment

Didi you get a reply here..

Hi
            did you get a reply in your post below. Please send your experience as I have same issue.. thanks

BR
            Ahmed

Originally posted by Mdsr View Post
            Hello,

I am working in Los Angeles on deputation through my employer on an L1B visa since Oct 10, 2010.
            My wife arrived at the United States (LA) on a B2 - Visitor Visa on Dec 26, 2010. Her I-94 is valid upto Jun 26, 2011.
            Since my deputation was initially temporary, my wife arrived on a B2-Visitor Visa. But now, the duration of my assignment has increased by 2 more years and we would like to change her B2 status to L2.

I checked Form I-539, that would be used for Change of Status.
            Can you please advise us on what documents would be needed to support our request for Change of Status from B2 to L2 ?
            Are these documents to be sent via postal mail, if the I-539 is to be submitted online ?
            The details in I-539 mention that the USCIS authority would evaluate why the L2 was not applied initially. We have a valid reason. But, where do we state this reason ? Do we respond to them only if we are asked the question ?

We would be glad if you could respond soon.

Thanks,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X