looking for a job with tourist visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a job with tourist visa

A friend of mine plans to come to the US and look for a job on a tourist visa - eventually doing job interviews with the intent to get an H1B visa. I've read that doing this when you're on a tourist visa is not a good idea, does anyone have more information about this?

As you said, that's not a good idea. But many people do that, later they file for a change of status(from B1/B2 - H1 visa). Even few blacklisted consultancies lure people with B visa, get them their and apply for a change of status as they are not ready to face the consulates.

But doing so will work against you in future. When you go for a visa stamping later, you will be questioned by the VO stating you lied and went US with the wrong intent.

Ask your friend to consult an attorney about the consequences before he/she opts for doing a COS from B2 - H1.
    Last edited by JStone; 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

The earliest his employer could file is April 1, 2009 for start of work Oct 1, 2009 - over a year away. Much can change in that time.

Comment

I didn't know about the COS application. So my friend is staying here until March this year so he'll have to leave the US before getting the H1B and wait for it in his country. Is this a COS situation?

Comment

It is not a COS option. He must leave and get stamping.

Why is he spending 6 months in US unemployed? It may hurt his case for obtaining H1B if he is doing nothing all of this time.

He must realize that his chance of getting a visa is less than 50%. He should not count on it even if he gets a job offer.

Comment

Originally posted by ptpt
            A friend of mine plans to come to the US and look for a job on a tourist visa - eventually doing job interviews with the intent to get an H1B visa. I've read that doing this when you're on a tourist visa is not a good idea, does anyone have more information about this?
            yes, you can look for a job , appear for interviews on tourist visa, but you have to wait for H1B CAP (yearly Lottery system) upto April 1, 2009, if you selected in lottery system, then you will enter after Oct 1st 2009. keep it in mind. Read more on immihelp.com about H1B CAP.
            Link https://www.immihelp.com/h1b-cap-petition/

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X