Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Find
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Indian Citizenship For US Born Child

Hi All

I work in US for an Indian IT company. I came here 18 months back with my wife. We had a baby boy very recently. even though my baby is born here I do not want to have the US citizenship I want to get Indian citizenship. Is it really possible? I am not talking about Dual Citizenship. I know about PIO and OCI cards that is only a signoff to stay for long in India. My child will have to be educated under NRI quota, he will not be eligible for any public sector jobs etc. I cant afford to educate in NRI quota as I will be going back to India soon and may not return to US again. I just want to know if it is possible that my kid can grown in India as a regular citizen of India. Can any one advice on this? My question may sound foolish to many people. But I just dont want to get the US citizenship. For whatever benefit it gives. My wife could not travel in the middle of her pregnancy that is the reason she had to give birth to him here. Please help !

Yes, you can opt for indian citizenship for your US born child. Please apply for registration of birth, birth certificate and indian passport for your child at the nearest indian consulate.

even we r planning for the same n lemme know furtherinfo if u have procedded

Cool Yes, your child can get Indian citizenship

You can do that by the following steps

1. To leave USA legally, your child will need a passport. The fastest you can get is the US passport. So get one.

2. Apply for a PIO card.

3. When you go home, apply for a citizenship for your child by "registration". See the wikepediaarticle for details .

The bottom line is that after going to India, you can always register your child and get citizenship. However, If your child wishes, on reaching age 18, can relinquish the Indian citizenship and become US citizen.

Default Indian citizenship

If you plan to go back to India once & not come back to the US, getting an Indian passport is the best of both worlds. Getting an Indian passport is just as easy as getting US passport. You will need the birth certificate, fill out the form, photographs, appropriate fee & copies of your passports. You will have to apply for both Registration of Birth of an Indian citizen born abroad & also Indian passport, both at the same time. You should get the passport & the registration certificate in about 2 to 4 weeks time.

If you apply for US passport instead, you have given up Indian citizenship for your child and the child will not be able to get that back until he/she turns 18 as India would require him to renounce his US citizenship and that is not possible before the child turns 18.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Question How to travel back to India w/o US passport?

This is good info. Thanks.
    Few questions come to my mind:

1. How will the child travel back to India? Is US Birth certificate enough for the travel back to India?
    (since the passport will not have any exit stamp/I-94)
    2. While traveling back to India, do airlines issue boarding pass to baby with US Birth certificate but without US passport?
    3. Has anyone recently done this? What was the experience like?
    4. The child will not require a US passport if he does not enter US till 18 years. After 18, he can decide on the citizenship. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Samba

Quote Originally Posted by sridiculous View Post
    If you plan to go back to India once & not come back to the US, getting an Indian passport is the best of both worlds. Getting an Indian passport is just as easy as getting US passport. You will need the birth certificate, fill out the form, photographs, appropriate fee & copies of your passports. You will have to apply for both Registration of Birth of an Indian citizen born abroad & also Indian passport, both at the same time. You should get the passport & the registration certificate in about 2 to 4 weeks time.

If you apply for US passport instead, you have given up Indian citizenship for your child and the child will not be able to get that back until he/she turns 18 as India would require him to renounce his US citizenship and that is not possible before the child turns 18.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

1. If the child has Indian passport, the child can travel to India. No problem.
    2. Yes, that's OK.
    3. I can't answer this.
    4. Yes.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Question

The responses provided by: sridiculous and js567 are little bit contradictory.
    JS567 says:
    "The bottom line is that after going to India, you can always register your child and get citizenship. However, If your child wishes, on reaching age 18, can relinquish the Indian citizenship and become US citizen."

with this it means we can apply for child's indian citizenship even before the child turns 18.

But, sridiculous says that:
    "If you apply for US passport instead, you have given up Indian citizenship for your child and the child will not be able to get that back until he/she turns 18 as India would require him to renounce his US citizenship and that is not possible before the child turns 18."

This means, child cannot get Indian citizenship before it turns 18.

Can someone confirm which one of these statements is correct; It will be great if we can get correct reference here.

Thanks much for the info.

Answer to that question really depends upon whether the child wants to come to the US before turning 18, once you all move to India.

You can't have best of everything. You need to decide what are your priorities and accordingly decide.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Default Indian Citizenship for US Born

I am in L1 Visa.

I have contacted to Indian embassy and they told that I can opt for Indian Citizenship by registering birth.

My questions are:-

1.In that case how the baby can stay in USA because she is not applying for US Citizenship(US Passport)?
    Means do i need to get US Visa?

2.What needs to be done during immigration check in India?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast